Wiring NES power/reset buttons to PC MB

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

WholemealDrop
PSN Username:tarrguy57
360 GamerTag:WholemealDrop
Steam ID:WholemealDrop
Wiring NES power/reset buttons to PC MB

Post by WholemealDrop » Thu May 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Hello all. New to the forum and to the world of modding in general. I'm in the process of building an NES PC and i'm running into trouble with the power/reset switches. I don't know how to wire them to power up and reset my motherboard. Any help would be great.

Also does anyone know how to step 12v/9a power down to 12v/2a power? thanks!

ElectronicGeek1

Re: Wiring NES power/reset buttons to PC MB

Post by ElectronicGeek1 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:30 pm

For the power and reset switch problem, google is your friend. I found this website quickly which explains it lower down on the page.

http://www.redhotscott.co.uk/nespc.html

Basically the switches need to be momentary, but the NES power button is toggle so you need to modify it as they say so. On your motherboard there should be a series of jumpers for the front panel, and you wire the switches to them. You need to look at the motherboard manual for the actual pinout, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I have never done any PC modding so take this advice accordingly (with a pinch of salt :)).

As for the stepping down of current, you don't step down current (unless you are dealing with AC stuff), you limit current. I assume that your circuit draws a maximum of 2a and you have a 9a supply, that means that the supply can deal with much more current than your item will ever draw, so all is fine. I would to be safe use a fuse (between power supply and circuit) that is just above the 2a maximum current just in case your circuit tries to draw a lot more current than it should do (short circuit or something similar). Hopefully the fuse will blow before too much damage is done to the rest of the circuit.

ProgMetalMan

Re: Wiring NES power/reset buttons to PC MB

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm

1. They connect to where it says F_PANEL on the board, under the RAM slots and next to the PCI slots. Not sure about the pinout though.
2. Not necessary. Amps (A) is basically a measurement of how much a power supply can put out. As long as this is the same number or bigger than the number that is needed, you're fine. Note: This does not apply to Volts (V).
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.