so im a noob and want to make a portable dreamcast. be brutally honest.
1. will i have any chance at even making one?
2. how many hours could it take to make?
3. expected price
4. could i convert/fuse a portable dvd player with a dreamcast to make it portable.
thanks in advance. hope i put this in the right section.
Ok, well here goes.
1. Yes, assuming the following;
- You have patience, persistence
- have either a) a medium level understanding of electronics.
or b) the ability to work things out using simple research.
3. Cost of dreamcast ~$50-100
Misc components $50-100
The cost of the tools if you dont have any.
4. You sure could. in fact it would make life a hell of a lot easier if you can find a player with input support, though dont expect you will be able to use the existing dvd drive. it will need to be removed, the motherboard gutted, (except for the lcd controller).
You will definetely need to mould a new MUCH deeper, and wider base as the dreamcast gdrom takes up a fair ammount of space unfortunately height wise, and the motherboard will need more space in width and length. plus dont forget you will need to allow for room for a battery pack, power supply, cooling etc.
dont be overwhelmed, its honestly not as hard as it may sound. there are many video guides, screenshots, datasheets and much more available through the forums, and you will find many people happy to offer advice.