Acer Aspire One USB Ports!?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
Acer Aspire One USB Ports!?

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Today I opened up my acer aspire one A150 netbook (I have opened it many times before without problem). I was soldering wires onto pins 36 and 38 of the mini pci-e wifi connector. When I tested them, it recognized the flash drive I plugged into the ports when I turned it on. I then put tape over the ends of the wires to prevent them from shorting and assembled the laptop again.

It seemed to work perfectly, until I connected my ipod in one of the standard usb ports and it wouldnt recognize it, even in any USB port. I then opened it up, and while I was opening it up, burnt my finger. Turns out I touched the southbridge chip, and it was extremely hot.

So far I have got nowhere, ad the laptop functions fine, the only problem is the southbridge gets very hot, and no USB ports work.

Is there any fix for this, or am I just going to have to get a new motherboard for my netbook?

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks,

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php