Questions about Neogeo issue.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

dabadking
Questions about Neogeo issue.

Post by dabadking » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:06 am

I had a few questions about restoring a Neo Geo MVS 4 slot arcade cabinet That i had just gotten.
I don't know much about it yet since i just got it, however.......

When i purchased it I went out to look at it... played it for roughly 30 minutes, and saw it "on and working" for about another 45 minutes while purchasing... everything worked great aside from "low volume" which he made me aware of.
I was told by someone a cap kit usually fixed this which I've purchased to have an electrician friend take care of.

The picture was Dim as well, and since i wanted to replace the older parts... figured I'd START with a new power supply. (have not installed it yet).
At this point no work has been done on it, and it works great...Last night however, a friend came over and wanted to look at it, SO... I turned it on (its in my garage and it was fairly cold .. maybe in 40s to 50s..dunno... just cold XD ).
The sound seemed lower than usual, and i started hearing a crackling... not a speaker type crackle but an electrical type crackling...do i looked in the back horizontal slot in the cab and saw a small glow (from the tube i presume)... nothing out of the ordinary really... so I started to take of the back panels just to get a better view (while it was still on).. However it then got loud enough to worry about and I started smelling a slight burning so i unplugged it asap just in case.

upon looking at the connections and boards etc afterwords... nothing looks DAMAGED, is there anything i should be looking for specifically? Other than obvious burn signs of course? Like any specific parts that tend to go bad that may do that?

Because i plan to replace as much as I can with NEW parts... does anyone know where I can GET a new monitor/tube? it may be subconscious but our older HDTV shorted out and LITERALLY caught fire so... id rather replace an old monitor so i KNOW its new (thanks General Electric) lol.

Thank you anyone who can help, and for reading the wall of text ><

tom61

Re: Questions about Neogeo issue.

Post by tom61 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Sounds like condensation from being in the the cold shorted something out. My first guess would be inside the power supply, as that's where it'd be hardest to spot easily.

As for a new monitor, you probably can't find one. CRTs are no longer being manufactured, and most arcade suppliers are out of stock of most models. Your electronics friend should be able to see if anything is wrong while doing the cap kit to it (which doesn't affect the sound issue, only the dim monitor issue).

Curious, why'd you post here? There are a fair number of dedicated arcade forums out there (arcadecontrols.com, klov.com, etc.), whereas this is a sub forum on a board mostly dealing with making consoles into portables.

dabadking

Re: Questions about Neogeo issue.

Post by dabadking » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks for the reply. The cap kit I was referring to was for the actual mvs part not for the monitor... Which at this point is the least of the probs now lol.

Also I posted here because I had originally emailed asking a question and was told to post it here, but alo because most of the other forums don't let new members post questions :(
... Which is understandable but still sucks... I can only post replies on most of the others, and strangely... Can't even ask forum moderators questions lol.

But yeah, being a PC tech I had figured condensation, I just HOPE it is the power supply as I DID just buy a new one yet to put in.
The old supplies fan stopped which doesn't mean it's a bad power supply but it's a sign of things to come ... So I'm hoping lol!

For anyone who may know.... I'd assume the damage would be done already but would powering it on typically further damage anything? I mean obviously it CAN... But does it typically just to power on and test components?... Just curious.
Thanks for the help :)