laptop power

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

unicron
laptop power

Post by unicron » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 am

hi guys this is the same problem as i have already posted but i thought if i post it in both theres more of a chance itll get seen, so yeah the problem is i dont have a charger for my laptop and was wondering if there was a way to either charge it up or just wire it directly to the mains and i dont mind having to pull it apart or rewire or solder things,

by the way its an amilo pro v2040 i know not the best but theres a lot of stuff on there i really need

simon66

Re: laptop power

Post by simon66 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:52 am

unicron wrote:hi guys this is the same problem as i have already posted but i thought if i post it in both theres more of a chance itll get seen, so yeah the problem is i dont have a charger for my laptop and was wondering if there was a way to either charge it up or just wire it directly to the mains and i dont mind having to pull it apart or rewire or solder things,

by the way its an amilo pro v2040 i know not the best but theres a lot of stuff on there i really need
If you want to charge your laptop your going to need a charger... theres no way( well there is but really dangerouns) to hookup the wires and output the correct voltage for the laptop... get a charger on ebayfor like 20$ and its better.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 am

If you just want the files it has on it, you can pop the hard drive out and put it into some other computer.

The power requirements are probably written on the back. Like "20V - - - 2A" or something. That is the kind power supply you would need. You probably are best off with the original power adapter (ebay), unless its something really easy like "12V DC 5A" or something, which you can get off of an ATX power supply.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

unicron

Post by unicron » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:00 pm

simon66 wrote:
unicron wrote:hi guys this is the same problem as i have already posted but i thought if i post it in both theres more of a chance itll get seen, so yeah the problem is i dont have a charger for my laptop and was wondering if there was a way to either charge it up or just wire it directly to the mains and i dont mind having to pull it apart or rewire or solder things,

If you want to charge your laptop your going to need a charger... theres no way( well there is but really dangerouns) to hookup the wires and output the correct voltage for the laptop... get a charger on ebayfor like 20$ and its better.

ok so what is this really dangerous way? i'll decide whats dangerous lol
timmeh87 wrote:If you just want the files it has on it, you can pop the hard drive out and put it into some other computer.

The power requirements are probably written on the back. Like "20V - - - 2A" or something. That is the kind power supply you would need. You probably are best off with the original power adapter (ebay), unless its something really easy like "12V DC 5A" or something, which you can get off of an ATX power supply.
the battery is 19v 3.42a so im not too sure if it would be easy there or not

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:35 pm

It dosen't matter what the battery is, it matters what the power hole on the back of the laptop will accept. That requirement should be stamped somewhere into the body (or on a sticker) of just about all electronic devices sold in America, the EU, or whatever other developed country you want.

If the number you refer to is off the back of your laptop, 20v, 4A power supplies arent that easy to get. Cheapest source is probably used laptop adapters on ebay....

The "dangerous" way Im assuming would be to develop your own power supply. Not really dangerous if you know a bit about electricity but time consuming.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

simon66

Post by simon66 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:23 pm

unicron wrote:
simon66 wrote:

ok so what is this really dangerous way? i'll decide whats dangerous lol

This way that I know can kill you if your not carefull, if can even burn your laptop ( catch on fire I mean)

unicron

Post by unicron » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 pm

first of all let me just say thankyou to the replys i didnt actually expect to get people answering to this in such a way, and secondly WOW how long did it take me to come back here ?!?!

UPDATE
so after a long time sitting under my bed gathering dust due to my lack of caring after a while and the fact that i was using my girlfriens laptop. I found a charger for that damn piece of crap amilo got my stuff back and been able to recover some awesome crap i forgot i had thans again guys and i'll be back in these forums with something interesting next time although i think powering that laptop through an alternate source could becomemy next project.