Is it possible

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

JLiddell97
Is it possible

Post by JLiddell97 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Is it possible, that if you really wanted too, you could build a flashcard that plays ROMs, and just put the ROMs on an SD card, rather then having huge game slots?

Chezwik
PSN Username:Itsumofataride
360 GamerTag:Chezwik74

Re: Is it possible

Post by Chezwik » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 pm

There is currently a project like that as far as the N64 goes. Its using CF cards to due their speed compared to an SD card. Here is the link to the Project
He who does things in wrong order
If i can't RROD my Xbox once a week, I'm doing it wrong

Current Projects -
Cheztendo64 - In design Phase

Spoiler:
BOO

Biased

Post by Biased » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm

I think the point of making the portables out of the systems is to actually use the official hardware, software, game cartridges, etc. Most people would say "If you want a system that doesn't rely on the cartridges, why not just build an emulator handheld or hack a PSP?"

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Sounds like the "SuperCard SD" cartridge that I have for my GBA. (The only game I really use it for is the GBA port of robotfindskitten, mostly I just used it for playng mp3s in the car with a tape adapter, and for watching movies and reading text files on the go, back before I had a decent laptop.)