Have an idea for a project, need some help

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

thecriscoking
Have an idea for a project, need some help

Post by thecriscoking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 am

My idea for an upcoming project was to make a portable emulator. One i could upload games onto, it would not need that big of an HDD but essentially, i do not even know where to begin. If I'm not mistaken, you would need an emulator board? This device could (maybe in the future) play more than just one system of ROMs (i.e. SNES, NES, GBA). If this has been made before could someone point me into the right direction on how to start constructing this? I've been looking all over the intertubes and have accumulated nothing.

Thank you in advanced.

EDIT: Also, i'm trying to stay away from purchasing something and/or then hacking/modding something.

argelfraster

Re: Have an idea for a project, need some help

Post by argelfraster » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:52 am

thecriscoking wrote:I'm trying to stay away from purchasing something and/or then hacking/modding something.
You came to the wrong place muchacho.

thecriscoking

Post by thecriscoking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 am

argelfraster wrote:You came to the wrong place muchacho.
I simply mean I would like to build something from scratch, and yes, i know it will be more difficult. People are always just saying, "buy a psp and add homebrew" or "mod a ds".

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:20 am

thecriscoking

Post by thecriscoking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:31 am

Yeah I've seen those before and that's what i meant by prebuilt. I was hoping i could construct something from scratch. I've seen it done before but no tutorial and not much of a description.

I'll post the article....

http://hackaday.com/2009/10/12/emulator ... tory-made/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 am

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about then. Considering thats a prebuilt emulator stuffed in an NES case.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm

How much money do you want to spend and how much do you know about hardware/linux??

I had similiar thoughts using gumstix products. Check them out at http://www.gumstix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However if you don't know where to begin you might have a hard gettin' er done. Start simple.

thecriscoking

Post by thecriscoking » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:34 pm

chainfire95 wrote:You obviously have no idea what you're talking about then. Considering thats a prebuilt emulator stuffed in an NES case.
I wasn't aware. I must have misread the description...
thewizdawg wrote:How much money do you want to spend and how much do you know about hardware/linux??

I had similiar thoughts using gumstix products. Check them out at http://www.gumstix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However if you don't know where to begin you might have a hard gettin' er done. Start simple.
I know quite a bit about linux, but a lot about hardware, but i'm no noob.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:44 pm

chainfire95 wrote:You obviously have no idea what you're talking about then. Considering thats a prebuilt emulator stuffed in an NES case.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about then. That's an MP3 player in an NES cartridge case.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hELTtsBR ... r_embedded#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

thecriscoking

Post by thecriscoking » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm

thewizdawg wrote:How much money do you want to spend and how much do you know about hardware/linux??

now a question i have is, how can i embed an emulator onto one of the products from gumstix.

EDIT:
I learned I can cross compile the source code of a SNES emulator onto an embedded system.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 pm

They're just regular TI ARM Cortex processors.

EDIT: Moving to the tech Q&A forum.

thecriscoking

Post by thecriscoking » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:17 pm

bicostp wrote:They're just regular TI ARM Cortex processors.
So what does that mean for me? Do I need to find the same type?