Gameboy Pocket [Frontlit or backlit]

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

DK

Post by DK » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Is it just me or does it look like you've cracked the screen vskid

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 pm

DK wrote:Is it just me or does it look like you've cracked the screen vskid
I did, I had no use for it so I made it into modern art, the way the liquid looks is cool on the front. Breaking LCD=fun.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm

I've began to backlight my GameBoy Pocket, and it's going very well. Unlike the GBC and GBA screen, there's no evil metal plate and foam, just this wierd paper sticker that's half-shiny on the sticky side. Peel it off super easy style, and you've got a transparent screen that looks OK against paper, but best on reflective surfaces. At this point, feel free to put it on an overhead projector, wire up a NES controller, and make a GB projector. I intend on getting some EL film just like in the GB light, then I'm nearly done, since I know where to get ~5V off of the cartridge pins from past Afterburner experiences. I'll post pics once I've gotten a bit further.

NOTE: if anyone would like to donate a spare GBPoocket for when I (probably) mess up when I finish peeling off the backing, feel free to send it to me. In the US. I'm not paying for ludicrous shipping.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:46 am

Bibin wrote:
bacteria wrote:Yes, the GBA used what was called "Afterburner". It was basically a front clear screen of light, with a reflective clear cover on the LCD. It worked, but looked crappy, everything looked pixelated (the front clear screen of light).
I had me one of those. It looks great if you do it properly.
Cheeky! I did do it properly, although I would have done it better now. My skills for modding were very basic then. The issue was if you looked really closely, the part below (diffuser?) has a clear, but small, grid; which when lit, makes the LCD look pixilated. Perhaps you had a different AfterBurner pack? Mine comprised of this part, a transistor and a thin sheet to go on the LCD itself.