so, i got really tired of the fact that my retro duo is a clone system. the fact that it isn’t 100% compatible really bothered me. and i wanted to be able to use my zapper to play duck hunt and the normal nes controllers for nes games in general. not to even mention the sound issues on the nes side… so, i then had a brilliant idea. why not make my OWN nes/snes console? and that is what brought about code name: tssap! (top secret super awesome project!), aka…
this is an nes/snes console that uses all original nintendo brand hardware. it uses the top loading nes and the smaller revision of the snes. this allows for full compatibility with all games and accessories. the game genie even works (any of the game genies) since i swapped the nes cart slot for the retro duo’s nes cart slot. i also added in some power leds since both the nes2 and snes2 do not have them. anyway, on to some pics!
youtube videos:Nintenduo demonstrationsvideo quality demospecs:system –
nes version 2 & snes version 2power –
1 ac adapter @ 10v (it uses the snes ac adapter)a/v –
1 a/v cord (it uses the snes a/v composite)case –
frankencased snes version 2 & nes version 2 controllers –
2 nes dog bone controllers, 2 snes controllers, 1 nes zapper - all repaintedrandom tidbits –
uses the longhorn engineer’s (rekarp) nes2 composite mod
(seeing as it’s the best and the simplest); power leds added in to help know which system is on (snes = pink, nes = white); case has custom made decals; nes cart slot swapped with retro duo nes cart slot to allow for all forms of game genie to fit; cut the tabs from snes cart slot that prevented sfc game playability
if you are interested, here is the link to all the pics i took
.a few measurements of the system:weight of system –
1 lb 8 ozthickness –
7 1/4”height –
3 1/8”height with snes game –
4 3/4"height with nes game –
6 3/4"length –
it is barely larger than the snes 2. and by barely i mean only a bit taller due to the nes cart slot section being added in. the system overall is larger than a retro duo. but i will gladly sacrifice the slight space for true original hardware with no sound issues and 100% compatibility!
this has been by far my most timely project. i actually started and finished it within just a literal few months. mind you, i did still not work on it for about a solid month or more in the middle. i’d say overall, this project took me a good 1.5 months of work. it was started on july 6, 2011 and completed october 19, 2011.