Retro recasing

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

DK
Retro recasing

Post by DK » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:08 am

Saw some mockup adverts for modern technology if it was designed in the 70's and though it looked beautiful, much nicer tham modern crap.
And
Source

Figured it could be a cool project to see if you could recase a modern piece of tech like a phone, mp3 player or even something like an iPad in a retro case, kind of like the Nestari portable. The video could also go into more detail on how you design cases, which I imagine would be of interest to quite a few modders out there.

Life of Brian

Re: Retro recasing

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:34 pm

I love that Pocket Hi-Fi picture! I kinda really want to make one now... And of course it would only have a 1/4" headphone jack, because anything smaller is for pansies!

This guy has a mighty fine eye for design!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Thunderchin

Post by Thunderchin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:38 pm

DK wrote:Saw some mockup adverts for modern technology if it was designed in the 70's and though it looked beautiful, much nicer tham modern crap.
And
Source

Figured it could be a cool project to see if you could recase a modern piece of tech like a phone, mp3 player or even something like an iPad in a retro case, kind of like the Nestari portable. The video could also go into more detail on how you design cases, which I imagine would be of interest to quite a few modders out there.
The idea for an MP3 player in this retrocase is AWESOME! Not sure aboot iPad tho...
But grafting portable LP case onto, say, Sansa E280 running Rockbox, would make you a rich man.
CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
Project "Trinity"
So named because of its tripartite formfactor, this is basically a universal controller for PC, Mac, Linux, and a whole host of consoles including Xbox 360, all Sega, and all Nintendo consoles to date.

DK

Post by DK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm

In hindsight the iPad would suck but that MP3 player still looks swell Ben, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more say no more. :wink:

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:41 pm

I.WANT.THIS. :D