techknott's - PS3 WVI (NEW youtube vid with SOUND)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

snowpenguin
Re: techknott's - PS3 WVI (youtube video and pics included)

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Does a baby monitor transmit video effectively with little lag and good quality?

EDIT: https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produ ... ts_id=9189
Hmmm, with sparkfun free day............ :D'

EDIT: https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produ ... ts_id=8949
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produ ... ts_id=8946

What about those? A set of those and one at a different frequency would get me mono audio and composite video. Will those work?

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 am

usually you want to stay away from the 2.4ghz frequency because other household devices would mess with the signal. e.g. the 360 controller and some microwaves, I think. I don't know what frequency the PS3 uses. You can look on eBay for "wireless video audio" and usually find baby monitors or wireless surveillance cameras that would work if you're up to the challenge. :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:09 am

You can use this to transmit the video, it was mentioned on his Xbox 360 WVI post,

http://www.simsimgate.com/1-2ghz-wirele ... -range-752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cost is like $21.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:25 pm

So you used a picture frame lcd? Can you give us a link or some more info about that screen?

Also I really like this... might be willing to make one... when Xbox360s are dirt cheap in 20 years :mrgreen:

I'm still having fun with the original :wink:

Edit: Oh wait the link has a picture frame with av/in? I might just pic one of these up.

How is the picture quality?

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:37 pm

He didn't use a picture frame LCD, that was just a question I had in theory. That if a picture fram LCD had AV in, could it be used. He simply replied stating that he owns an LCD picture frame with AV in.

You could make one for an original xbox, you would need an original xbox wireless controller, a screen, the wireless transmitter, batteries and the other parts to make it all work. Since all it does is trasmit the AV signal, and the controller signals, you could theoretically make one of these for any system that has composite AV out and a wireless controller. You could also do it with a wired controller, but then you could only stray from the system as long as the cable is. I wouldn't recommend making one for a Wii though, you may throw it through a window or something :D

I am still waiting for someone to buy this from him, that we he will make another one with instructions (please!) and hopefully the next one he makes is for the Xbox 360.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 pm

collinE wrote:I don't know what frequency the PS3 uses.
Bluetooth.

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:00 pm

The "bluetooth" frequency, huh? :lol:

I think the correct answer is 2.4ghz, smarty pants.

Ridonkulous

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 pm

collinE wrote:The "bluetooth" frequency, huh? :lol:

I think the correct answer is 2.4ghz, smarty pants.
it is bluetooth and bluetooth aint 2.4ghz, mister. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 pm

That's so weird, because I just talked to bluetooth and bluetooth disagrees with you.
bluetooth wrote:Bluetooth technology operates in the unlicensed industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) band at 2.4 to 2.485 GHz, using a spread spectrum, frequency hopping, full-duplex signal at a nominal rate of 1600 hops/sec.
maybe you should ask him yourself:
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Tech ... Basics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

Ridonkulous

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

collinE wrote:That's so weird, because I just talked to bluetooth and bluetooth disagrees with you.
bluetooth wrote:Bluetooth technology operates in the unlicensed industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) band at 2.4 to 2.485 GHz, using a spread spectrum, frequency hopping, full-duplex signal at a nominal rate of 1600 hops/sec.
maybe you should ask him yourself:
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Tech ... Basics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
STFU! :P
anywho, the idea is that a regular 2.4ghz wireless radio cant talk to bluetooth. bluetooth is all encrypted and stuffs.
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:43 am

The reason you want to stay away from a 2.4 GHz video/audio transmitter is because you can get interference from many devices on that frequency, cordless phones, microwaves, xbox 360 controllers, etc.

techknott

Post by techknott » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I used a 2.4ghz one originally on the 360 version and although it did work, there was interference from time to time which was not all that bad, but it was there. Sometimes making the controller perform undesired operations too.

My advice would be to go with the 1.2ghz one for the ps3 and maybe something in the 5 ghz range for the 360.

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Any reason the 1.2 wouldn't work for the 360?

techknott

Post by techknott » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 pm

No, but I found that the wider apart the frequencies the better for the 360. With it just being wireless it's much more picky as opposed to Bluetooth. I dare say the ps3 will even work fine with a 2.4ghz version.

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Do you have any examples of a 5.8 Ghz one? I looked and couldn't find anything as cheap as the 1.2 I posted earlier.