techknott's - PS3 WVI (NEW youtube vid with SOUND)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire
techknott's - PS3 WVI (NEW youtube vid with SOUND)

Post by techknott » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:32 pm

PS3 version of the WVI. Just got it finished(ish) today. Its playable, however, I have blown a TA7176AP chip on the sound reciever board, so while there is sound, its really crap quality until I get it changed - no biggie.

This will be for sale once I get the sound problem sorted out.

Specs are:

4500maH Li-ion battery's and recharge circuit with built in
LED capacity meter.

5" widescreen LCD

AV in port, headphones, usb mini and charge

1.2ghz wireless AV receiver and (obviously) ps3 remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHA7EqaVbk4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by techknott on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qerkdtx

Re: techknott's - PS3 WVI (youtube video and pics included)

Post by qerkdtx » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 pm

thats just amazing! nice job

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Very nice. 8) Way better than the 360 one you did. You could do well selling these, I think. or at least kits for them.

What's the range on a 1.2 transmitter? and any plans to share with us a tutorial (please oh please)?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Bino Gas
Portablizer

Post by Bino Gas » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

It's...beautiful! I am a big fan of the shapes of your recent cases. Amazing job.

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:45 pm

xBOxh4k3r4lif3 probably wrote:W0ah?!! how'd you g3t a ps3 inta' somethin so small :shock: :shock: :shock: can u mak me 1? plzzzllzz im poor and i got no monies!?!!!11
Sorry, just preparing you for stupid Youtube comments :wink:

Looks awesome man! If you were to make these on request, how much would they be?

Tuxor

Post by Tuxor » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Could you pm me a parts list or something like that because i have a ps3 and i need something like this....( i'm not afraid of soldering, i love it).

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:06 am

wow! as always, i am wowed by your work!. what screen is that, though? it looks awesome! :D
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

Livin in a box
PSN Username:Livin_in_a_box

Post by Livin in a box » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 am

God I want one of those...

Will you be making more or will it be just the lonely one...?

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 am

This is my first post, I came here from engadget. Something like this would be extrememly useful for me, because I like leaving my Xbox 360 hooked up to my 50" Plasma in my entertainment stand, I could just use a switcher to put it on the wireless AV and play on the couch while my wife watches TV. Realistically how hard is it to make something like this for an Xbox 360? I saw you have already made one, but how much time does it take to push out a quick one, in a generic plastic case, using just regular rechargeable AA's? What kind of cost would you be looking at? $20 for the wireless AV transmitter, $10 for a case, $30 for a 7" LCD from Ebay, $45 for an xbox 360 controller, $10 for AA's with a charger. So like $105 plus time invested? Am I pretty close here? Great work BTW.

Thanks,
Jon

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 am

i seriously doubt AA's would be good for this project. they have, usually, like 1000mah max, at 1.2 volts. you would need lots of em, and the wouldnt last long. at all. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

MWPollard

Post by MWPollard » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 am

samjc3 wrote:i seriously doubt AA's would be good for this project. they have, usually, like 1000mah max, at 1.2 volts. you would need lots of em, and the wouldnt last long. at all. :wink:
Normal NiMH AAs are 2000-2800mAh. 2 of them would give 4-5Ah at 1.2v; 4 would give 4-5Ah at 2.4v. So whether or not AAs are practical depends largely on the voltage needed for the device. 1.2v would only need two batteries. 12v at the specified 4.5mAh would require 24 batteries, and hence is not very practical.
This is the Ah range Ben listed, but he didn't give the voltage. Hence the question whether or not AAs are practical for monetary cost savings, probably at a cost of space/size. Unless that's what Ben used himself...

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:40 am

Now that I think about it, AA's probably wouldn't work, I read on his Xbox 360 WVI he posted this.
Everything runs from one set of batts. 7.4v, stepped up to 12v for the receiver, down to 3v for the controller and down to 7.5v for the screen.
He also said this regarding batteries
You could use a Dynamo or Wind turbine if you dont mind the extra weight. These are Li-Ions but im now using Polymers. Any batteries will work well. You just have to decide whether you like size or money more.
Guess I confused Li-Ions with rechargeable AA's, which are what like nickel cadmium or something. But as I said in my previous post, is that really all there is to it
$20 for the wireless AV transmitter
$10 for a case
$30 for a 7" LCD from Ebay
$45 for an xbox 360 controller (free if you already have one)
$40 for lipo batteries and protection board, etc.

So if you already have a controller, about $100, if you don't have one, about $145. Does this sound about right? I wish he gave his case dimensions and such, it would make it easier to guestimate on the case size. I wish he had posted a picture of the guts.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 pm

WHERE did you get a 5" widescreen lcd?
and are these buttons pressure sensitive like the ones on a real ps3 controller?*prepares to get flamed by noobs*

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 pm

The prices of everything as you all know can vary greatly depending on what you want. I wanted a widescreen in it(fd5869), but a £30 psone screen will work just as well.

@Jon, you pretty much nailed everything except the case, various bits n bobs like tacts, regs, dc-dc converters, resistors etc, wire, solder, tools, plastic, copperclad board, led's, end mills. Also, batteries.......... this is where it can get expensive. There are plenty of threads on batteries so I wont go into it here.

Also, there are a lot of people PMing me asking for a tutorial etc. When I made this, I made it with the intention of using it for myself. My PS3 is hooked up to the big tv in the living room and I cant access Modern Warfare2 when the missus is watching her rubbish(yes I always lose- shoot me pls).

However, I will probably end up making more(depending if this one sells when sound sorted) and I will make a tutorial so people can make there own :D

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm

It is a really clever idea doing a WVI for a next-gen console, I am surprised that after your first one that I haven't heard of anyone else making one of these until you made a second one.

Make sure you make another Xbox 360 one, so those of us who don't have a PS3 can get a tutorial as well :D

What were you looking to sell it for? It may be a better option for some people to just buy one.

I was looking at 7" widescreen LCD's on Ebay, as they seemed to be the cheapest size (you can get them around $30-$40 if you watch them and bid snipe).