collinE's 360 lappy finally finished! (not sold)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
Re: collinE's 360 lappy finally finished! (now on eBay)

Post by collinE » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:18 pm

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

mako321

Re: collinE's 360 lappy finally finished! (sold)

Post by mako321 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:54 pm

niceeeeeee... that's good money you made there 8)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 am

Not bad at all! That's over twice the cost you put into building it. And hey look at it this way you have cemented yourself in the market. If you want money you know a good way to make some. Just be sure to get some feed back from your buyer. Positive customer reviews are worth more then gold.

-Sparkfist

P.S. I wish I had the money to do what you did. :(
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 am

It's not even close to what I was hoping to get for it, but thanks for helping me realize that it was a good amount. More importantly, it was really fun to make and I'm sure I'll do more.

p.s. I'd rather have gold :D

Ridonkulous

coukos34

Re: collinE's 360 lappy finally finished! (not sold)

Post by coukos34 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:53 pm

You did a great job on that laptop collin, very clean. Glad you put it on ebay as well, as I was wondering what a "non-ben" laptop would go for. I'm waiting for it to get warmer outside so I can paint mine. I've already bought some Krylon paint, I bought satin and gloss and I'm just stuck on what would be better. Which did you go with? Looks like satin but its hard to tell. Congrats

collinE

Post by collinE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:25 am

Well, thanks. Turns out eBay wasn't the best place to sell it, IMO. The buyers can't give negative feedback anymore so the guy who won, but didn't pay, doesn't really get punished in anyway. If you put yours on eBay, be picky about who can and can't win.

It's personal preference whether you like gloss or satin better. I've never used satin, but I'm interested how it looks.

Ridonkulous

coukos34

Post by coukos34 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 am

Wow, thats too bad! I though people were legally binded to having to purchase if they win the auction. I wasn't aware people could get away with that. Thats ridiculous.....I think you should be able to get a little more for that anyways, It looks very well built.

So you went with the gloss black then huh? Looks good. I was afraid it might show to much fingerprints and such, Ill prob just use that then. I think im gonna keep mine when finished though. We'll see, it seems the market isnt quite as lucrative as I once thought (going by your ebay winning bid). That, and I'm not sure I would want to spend the time to build another unless I had someone who was ready to buy. To much of a hassle/expensive to make otherwise.

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:55 pm

make it so they have to pay after they win.
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Yes! That's what I need the hinges! Thanx

I've emailed Ben with no response :wtf:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

collinE wrote:Well, thanks. Turns out eBay wasn't the best place to sell it, IMO. The buyers can't give negative feedback anymore so the guy who won, but didn't pay, doesn't really get punished in anyway. If you put yours on eBay, be picky about who can and can't win.

It's personal preference whether you like gloss or satin better. I've never used satin, but I'm interested how it looks.
It's kind of a lose-lose situation. Before that rule, I've been rated negatively for giving someone a negative rating (because they took 2.5 months for shipping without any apparent reason)

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

mine had a few things going against it that didn't up the price more, but oh well. The glossy black isn't going to be glossy like you're thinking. it still has texture to it, granted very little. for that kind of gloss, you would probably need to do some clear over the black, then fine sand and polish it. it doesn't come out looking like an iPhone with just the black.
joeyjoe9876 wrote:make it so they have to pay after they win.
the point is that you can't. sure, you can choose to list it saying pay immediately, but they don't have to. after a certain amount of warnings, I'm sure eBay takes action, but not on this one.

and yeah, kyo. you're 100% right. people can say whatever they want in negative feedback :(

Ridonkulous