Hailrazer's Gamecube Portable - The NCube

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Hailrazer's Gamecube Portable - The NCube

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 pm

limpport wrote:Maybe bondo in some tabs for the cd lid tabs to click into? I think painting the sides, but not the top, would look good too. What is holding it on right now? I can't tell if it is foam tape or velcro...
Velcro is holding it on the 4 corners.

I thought about painting it but it probably would just get scratched off.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

limpport

Post by limpport » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 pm

What about on the inside? A couple coats might do it. It wouldn't scratch from the outside. It would probably look a little out of place, though, with having the portable and the cover of different glossiness.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 pm

I'll get another cover and give it a try with Krylon Fusion and lot's of clear coat over it and see what it looks like. :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 pm

hailrazer wrote:Guess I just never have a problem when the 4 buttons are just millimeters from each other. Haven't found a game yet where it is the least bit difficult.
Eh, it's just a subtle nuance that I think worked out well. I'll admit though, some games are better without it, I would rather play Tony Hawk on a PlayStation or Xbox than the GameCube. Of course now Ride is coming out.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 am

Simply one of the best portables I have ever seen :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 am

I feel bad it took me this long to see. ABS cement and bondo work at it's finest. Few people can do it so well, man. True, it doesn't have the usual hailrazer feel, but it's so professional looking that it's hard to complain.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:06 am

collinE wrote:I feel bad it took me this long to see. ABS cement and bondo work at it's finest. Few people can do it so well, man. True, it doesn't have the usual hailrazer feel, but it's so professional looking that it's hard to complain.
Thanks guys :mrgreen:

Just a note. It's Abs and plastic bumper filler epoxy. I don't use bondo. I am in the automobile body repair business and I know how easily bondo cracks. Flexible bumper filler is much better :)

And hailrazer boldly goes where only a few modders have gone before. Lazer Doodles be damned full speed ahead. LOL
My Portable Systems:

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 am

It's beautiful.

MarioOwnsAll

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 pm

I could probubly build a portable like this except for the l/r triggers, not too sure how you put the buttons in the bottom.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:03 pm

MarioOwnsAll wrote:I could probubly build a portable like this except for the l/r triggers, not too sure how you put the buttons in the bottom.

Just like this :

But on the bottom of the Ncube case. On the previous page I showed how I made them :)
My Portable Systems:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:00 pm

If a newbie's opinion is at all helpful - I think the clear piece used as a CD cover has a very nice shape that doesn't take away from the portables aesthetics at all - I think that it being clear is cool, but wold also work if it were painted (although I see where you're coming from with the chipping the paint thing). Sorry if I'm a little late to the party :P

User

Post by User » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Ya know, you're gonna end up having issues with that button layout in some games. For example, try shooting a super missile or any other missile combo in the Metroid Prime games (requires hitting Y while holding A).

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Piece of cake. The buttons are very close :)
My Portable Systems:

User

Post by User » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 pm

uh... how so? A and Y are the the right and left face buttons. How the heck would that be possible without hitting B in the process or using another finger? (though hitting B would be nearly harmless since it's jump, but it could screw up your aim possibly)

Unless you're holding it so that your thumb is perfectly horizontal, but I'd reckon that'd be mighty uncomfortable.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Do I have to make a video showing me doing it? :roll:

Please feel free to make a portable Gamecube yourself and put any buttons in it that you want, and put them anywhere you want and feel free to post a thread about it :)
My Portable Systems: