RIP Overhauled Portable SNES

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart
RIP Overhauled Portable SNES

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I feel that my Overhauled Portable SNES deserves a new thread :D

Unfortunately I dropped it and busted the screens ribbon cable connector :cry: More details in the video.

Here's the Original
Changes made: filled in brightness, volume, start, and select button holes on the front, gave the bondo a much needed fixing up, added speakers, switched from a mini snes to a retro duo, filled in the old shoulder button holes and moved them to the shoudler, moved start and select to the back, as well as the volume control buttons, filled in the old "plugs and switches" holes. aka psone memory card holes, anti glare mod, extended the sides of the cart slot cover, switched ABXY from tact switches to the "board and membrane" type, filling in unneeded screw holes, and last but not least, it is now powered by internal 4000mah LIpos.
Specs: 2 3.7v 4000mah Li-po Batteries, Retro Duo, Chopped-4 LED Modded-Anti Glare removed-Zenith Screen With relocated Volume controls. All inside a PSOne case :)

1000th Post 8)

Infinite_Lives
PSN Username:SweetDave

Re: RIP Overhauled Portable SNES

Post by Infinite_Lives » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 pm

dude that sucks so bad it broke, its way slick! So because that ribbon came out it is broken or because the pins got pulled from the board?

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 am

The clip that holds the ribbon cable in got ripped up. I cant connect the lcd to the screen mobo.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 am

Man, that is horrid luck, I can't even see how that would go about happening. Even so, you got an awesome picture of the aftermath right there. It's actually pretty cool despite the horror it presents.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 am

Just replace the screen?

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:02 am

I was carrying the snesp and a snes game in one hand and my camera in the other. It just decided to slip out halfway down the stairs :( As much as this sucks, I do like the picture.

HDC: Yeah I just need to replace the screen mobo. But I honestly dont want to work on this now, Ill probably pick it up and about a month or so.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 am

Can you solder the ribbon cable right to the motherboard?

That stupid plastic cable stuff is tricky but it's possible. You need to use as little heat as possible, but just barely touch it with a high wattage iron.

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Ill give it a shot. Although I will need to pick up a new soldering iron tip. Just read that its not good to grind it down. Oops.

I just pulled the connector off of the mobo and it turns out I can push the pins back into the connector. If I didnt lose any pins I might be able to solder the connector back on.

Edit: Damn, Im one pin short. Hopefully more than one is ground. Same thing happened with my cart slot relocation too.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I sure hope you can get it back in action - it's a really well done portable.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:17 am

dude, I am an epic noob and i have transplanted both a PIF and Dac chip onto my n64 board, it's a snap to do and it was harder than a ribbon cable.
just get a solding iron, push the pins onto the solder points and heat it up by touching the pin for a bit with the tip of the solding iron and it will reconnect it. no chance of bridging the connections, which would be a disaster.
Do that and reconnect the wires that have been pulled off in other parts and then just bondo the case back to former glory. no problem.

btw you inspired me to use the psone case for my n64p, thanks

edit: i didn't read the other suggestions first

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Life of Brian wrote:I sure hope you can get it back in action - it's a really well done portable.
Thank you!
OhSnap! wrote:dude, I am an epic noob and i have transplanted both a PIF and Dac chip onto my n64 board, it's a snap to do and it was harder than a ribbon cable.
just get a solding iron, push the pins onto the solder points and heat it up by touching the pin for a bit with the tip of the solding iron and it will reconnect it. no chance of bridging the connections, which would be a disaster.
Do that and reconnect the wires that have been pulled off in other parts and then just bondo the case back to former glory. no problem.

btw you inspired me to use the psone case for my n64p, thanks

edit: i didn't read the other suggestions first
Are you talking about soldering the connector back on? or soldering the ribbon cable?
Im not putting any more bondo on this case. Redoing it once was enough for me. And besides, Im all out of red paint :lol:

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:07 pm

I sold revron a borked psone screen a little while back, he may be willing to desolder the whole ribbon connector and send it to you, then you can just solder that.

He's at MR I believe.

schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 pm

The main page says skyone posted in here but I dont see see any posts by skyone in here :? :?

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm

I have an old broken PSOne screen board you can take the connector off of, do you want it? It'd be a lot better than buying a new screen. I could even try to take it off for you.