Little Low Resolution Display (LLRD) Video + Pics!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Mario
Little Low Resolution Display (LLRD) Video + Pics!

Post by Mario » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Or lard, for short. :P

This is a project inspired by Hack-a-Day's networked graffiti wall, which they call the large low resolution display. It runs from their business card server. I built a mini version of this project, which is 4x4, uses white LEDs, and runs from my computer's parallel port. It gets its power from it, as well as the signals.

How it works: The parallel port has 8 outputs. These can be pulled either high or low from Microsoft Quick Basic. The LLRD has 16 LEDs in a grid pattern; that is, if you apply power to 3 on bottom and 1 on the side, then LED (3,1) will light up. The parallel port supplies the LEDs with all the power they need. I wrote a program in qbasic that simply selects the right outputs to turn on the right LEDs to make the picture I want. Anyway, enough chit-chat, here is a video and pictures:

The control board:

The back, showing the grid-like wiring:

Close-up of an LED box:

Zoomed-out view (Sorry for the blurry pic, my hands are a bit shaky. :wink: ):

If you have any additional questions, please ask them. I'd be happy to tell you more on how it works, and details on the control board. Please comment!

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Can this be networked?

I'd like to try, but I haven't seen a parallel port since 1 year ago. >_>

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Aguiluz wrote:Can this be networked?

I'd like to try, but I haven't seen a parallel port since 1 year ago. >_>
I'm sure you might be able to, but I would have no idea how. Hack-a-day made theirs networked with their business-card server. You can go online and submit animations.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:15 pm

I like it.

I could use it to keep my cats busy. :P
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

colosalblack

Post by colosalblack » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:35 am

YAY!!!! LIGHTS!!!!!! :D

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:12 pm

cool, it is looking nice.

skeneegee

Post by skeneegee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:33 pm

That's very clever, do you think it's possible to make a pong style game using this display?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:40 pm

skeneegee wrote:That's very clever, do you think it's possible to make a pong style game using this display?
Using this display, no. The reason is because of the way I arranged the LEDs so that they can be controlled with only 8 pins. If I wanted to do pong, I would have to drive each LED individually.

EDIT: Go to the top of my first post and click the link to Hackaday. The video of theirs has pong in it. (it's the first animation)

misjah

Post by misjah » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 am

Great job! Could you please post scheatics for this project? And a software would be nice....