SNES portable number three!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
SNES portable number three!

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:54 pm

This is the second Super Nintendo portable I have made using the ZN-40 project enclosure from Polycase.com, but it is my third overall.

It was built on commission, and took me FOREVER to build. This was largely due to the complexity of the case and time restraints from school and work. I started this project on Christmas Break! Here's the worklog if you're interested in seeing pictures of its construction.

Update 8/11/08: YouTube video

Features:
Original SNES buttons and controller mounted in case
Shoulder buttons on back positioned like triggers
Antiglare film layer on screen removed to increase sharpness of picture (and remove scratches)
AV & Headphone jacks
Charging jack
Internal lithium polymer batteries (two 3.7v 4250 mAh tied in series)
Badass handmade cartridge slot

Pictures:

What's better than one Super Nintendo portable? Two of them.

The main changes I made in this new design are internal batteries, the cartridge sits flush with the top of the case, relocated screen controls, and drilled speaker holes instead of bondoed perf board.

And to answer the inevitable question: Yeah, it plays Doom...

The system comes with a fast "smart" charger. A full charge takes only 2.5 hours at most. It knows when to shut off power when charging and the light on the charger changes from red to green. There is also a protection circuit inside to prevent overcharging and over-discharging.

I am so glad to be finished with this project! I will not be making another Super Nintendo portable with the ZN-40 case probably ever again because it takes so long to do it right! For comparison, the case for the next SNESp I'm working on is almost complete after just a few days of work.

Aww, the whole family is together. If only their older brother hadn't been sold away...
Last edited by Life of Brian on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 pm

Suh-Wheet, are the brother going to OVGE?
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:17 pm

typamc95 wrote:Suh-Wheet, are the brother going to OVGE?
Only the black SNESp and my new one if I finish it in time. The white one belongs to someone else so I'm not going to risk its well-being by taking it into public. Y'know, grubby hands and white paint jobs don't go well together. Plus people would probably go into convulsions over their excitement about a portable Super Nintendo and I can't risk them dropping it.

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:19 pm

I wish I had started planing my clamtendo earlier...
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Looks awesome! It looks a lot like my n64. Same speaker holes and stuff. Keep em coming! The bondo/sanding work on these is almost never ending; Nice job. It is SO nice to see people making excellent quality portables and not just hot glue/pvc monsters. The work is well worth it. 5/5.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Neildo_64 wrote:It is SO nice to see people making excellent quality portables and not just hot glue/pvc monsters.
The trick is keeping the hot glue on the inside of the case. :D I used several sticks of hot glue on this one, I assure you.

Thank you very much for the compliments, guys!

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:21 pm

I must say, that is one slick SNES. I'm sure your buyer will be more than happy with the quality.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm

Very nice quality work, looks very good. Pity you sold it, I am sure you would have preferred to keep this one!!

I also find that my building skills enhance greatly with each system made; as demonstrated by your three systems. Any "niggles" you had with the black system were ironed out with the white system clearly.

Yes, colour is a problem; do you pick white and as you say, lose the effect quickly with grubby fingers; use black and have any minor imperfections shine up at you (not good), go for a cream type colour as neutral (I tried this but cream turned a bit yellowish due to the clear varnish); or do what Nintendo does and go for bright strong colours (purple, red, lime green, pink, etc)? None of these options are perfect; although for initial looks, white looks groovy (as you used).

On/off button is quite large! :wink:

Nice work mate!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Very Nice Job !!!!

Excellent craftsmanship.

So you have given up on the ZN-40 case? Which case are you going to use next?

grahf

Post by grahf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:13 pm

Very nice work Brian. You keep getting better and better. And I do spy an AG-85 case there 8). Seeing your work has motivated me work on my own project.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 pm

That looks kickass!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:22 pm

I was inspired by your previous attempt with the AG-85, grahf. How long ago was it that I messaged you asking about your experience working with that case? I've been wanting to make a portable with it ever since I first saw it.

For the large power switch, a rocker switch was requested and that is what was given. It's the lowest profile DPDT switch I could find around here. Besides, it needs a big power button to give you that satisfying "CLACK" when turning it on. It feels good!

I swear, grahf - I just might need to keep copying your ideas. That new case you're working on is sweet.

For your question, hailrazer, my answer is a resounding yes. I'm not swearing off the ZN-40 case totally, but I don't want to make another portable with it for a while. Certainly not another SNES portable. It works great, feels great, but is a hell of a lot of work.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm

I love the new portable its awesome in so many ways. But I do feel the uncommon need to critique one thing that is bugging me.

It is the switch. While I totally understand that satisfying Click, I feel that MAYBE (I still am not sure) it would have been better to paint the black section of the switch the same as the case.

crappy photoshop job that might show might idea.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn30 ... obsnes.png

Awesome job though. :D
Last edited by project_failure on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:13 pm

I assure you the power switch really is not as noticeable in person as it is in the pictures.

I tell you what, though - I'm glad that's the only thing you can find to critique! :D

NixonTech2071

Post by NixonTech2071 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 am

OH MY GOD BRIAN......
I cant hack yet... But I can help with "LazyMods"!!!