SNES portable number three!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 am

amazing job once again, brian! you never cease to amaze with your awesome skills.

awe... you gave away what your doing for the compo! might i just say that i'm slightly confused by the round hole for the d-pad... can't wait to see it completed!
Life of Brian wrote:I'm not swearing off the ZN-40 case totally, but I don't want to make another portable with it for a while. Certainly not another SNES portable. It works great, feels great, but is a hell of a lot of work.
couldn't have said it better myself. this case is for epoxy experts alone! :wink: either that or perfectionists need never use it...
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

grahf

Post by grahf » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 am

Life of Brian wrote:I was inspired by your previous attempt with the AG-85, grahf. How long ago was it that I messaged you asking about your experience working with that case? I've been wanting to make a portable with it ever since I first saw it.

For the large power switch, a rocker switch was requested and that is what was given. It's the lowest profile DPDT switch I could find around here. Besides, it needs a big power button to give you that satisfying "CLACK" when turning it on. It feels good!

I swear, grahf - I just might need to keep copying your ideas. That new case you're working on is sweet.
Hey, don't hesitate to copy any of my projects. I think the polycases themselves are kind of hard to "claim". I mean, a case alone will get you nowhere. But they are a great start. It saves a ton of time cutting/gluing/sanding something from scratch.

The new case i'm using is so tiny, its going to be a challenge to fit everything. Thank goodness for tiny lithium ion cells. I doubt my current case is usable for a US SNES portable, since the Japanese/PAL carts are just barely small enough (for a slide in setup anyway). It would make an awesome case for something else like a Genesis though!

Before anyone else said anything, I was actually thinking about how I like your power switch. It seems a little big at a glance, but it kind of fits in with the SNES era electronics.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 am

Very slick work! Seriously, I'd be hard-pressed to know where you bondo-ed if I hadn't read the worklog. That's definitely some gorgeous work! I kind of like the big switch. I just would have painted it, but I'm a perfectionist like that.

I really like the cart slot. That's some great work right there!
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:31 am

E-P-I-C. :D

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:08 pm

lovablechevy wrote:i'm slightly confused by the round hole for the d-pad...
And you will continue to be confused until it's finished!

Thanks, everyone!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Life of Brian wrote:And you will continue to be confused until it's finished!
i think i'm ok with that. after all, i don't plan on giving any info on my portable for the contest till the 31st. Image

again, brian, this is just a very beautiful portable. the buyer of that is one lucky gamer!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Badass! Great job Brian.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Life of Brian wrote:For the large power switch, a rocker switch was requested and that is what was given. It's the lowest profile DPDT switch I could find around here. Besides, it needs a big power button to give you that satisfying "CLACK" when turning it on. It feels good!
The giant clicky switch is important! I'm not a big fan of the skinny metal switches. I'd actually wanted one of these, but we couldn't figure out how to attach it.

We also tossed around the idea of painting this two-tone, but I (finally) decided to go flat white. You're gonna get poked in one way or another regardless of what color you go with, as someone else said above.

And yeah, Brian was incredibly patient with me during the design process. Really a great guy to deal with.

You rock, sir! I look forward to receiving this.

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 pm

jperryss wrote:
Life of Brian wrote:For the large power switch, a rocker switch was requested and that is what was given. It's the lowest profile DPDT switch I could find around here. Besides, it needs a big power button to give you that satisfying "CLACK" when turning it on. It feels good!
The giant clicky switch is important! I'm not a big fan of the skinny metal switches. I'd actually wanted one of these, but we couldn't figure out how to attach it.

We also tossed around the idea of painting this two-tone, but I (finally) decided to go flat white. You're gonna get poked in one way or another regardless of what color you go with, as someone else said above.

And yeah, Brian was incredibly patient with me during the design process. Really a great guy to deal with.

You rock, sir! I look forward to receiving this.
That switch would disable its portablity-ness. :D
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 pm

jperryss wrote:And yeah, Brian was incredibly patient with me during the design process. Really a great guy to deal with.
It's been a pleasure! :D

I actually picked up the project from someone else who let it sit for a few months, so add that on top of the several months it took me and you've got one long overdue portable!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 am

lovablechevy wrote:I don't plan on giving any info on my portable for the contest till the 31st.
I understand that, however I have posted my main project plans in that thread in Forum 42! Perhaps i'm a bit Image but this is only a friendly compo after all, and my pics prove the system started after the compo started and not before it (I only made a start as of yesterday).

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:12 pm

bacteria wrote:I understand that, however I have posted my main project plans in that thread in Forum 42! Perhaps i'm a bit Image but this is only a friendly compo after all, and my pics prove the system started after the compo started and not before it (I only made a start as of yesterday).
but i am following basic compo rules. you don't reveal things until the deadline is up. feel free to show yours, but i personally think it'll be better if all completed projects aren't shown until the deadline. otherwise people will begin to latch on to the first or second completed and it won't be a fair contest.

and the pics don't necessarily prove anything about when you started. for all we know, you took those pics months ago and are just now releasing them. a work log proves nothing of the sort.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:44 pm

jperryss wrote:The giant clicky switch is important! I'm not a big fan of the skinny metal switches. I'd actually wanted one of these, but we couldn't figure out how to attach it.
That is one sweet switch! Obsolete electronics FTW! In the basement of the theatre I work at, we've got panels of stuff like that. We can't use it anymore, but it makes some great props. Dang, now I wanna put a Jacob's Ladder on the top of a console just for the heck of it.

As for all the arguing about posting pics to prove it's within the deadline, I've done so. Admittedly, that was when I still had a screen, so I've actually taken a step backwards. lol I'm concentrating on the second one I started last week now.
ImageImage

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 pm

lovablechevy wrote:but i am following basic compo rules. you don't reveal things until the deadline is up. feel free to show yours, but i personally think it'll be better if all completed projects aren't shown until the deadline. otherwise people will begin to latch on to the first or second completed and it won't be a fair contest.
The downside of showing your cards early is precisely that - you are showing your cards early. Gives people the "nod" as to what you are doing, which is actually a gamble. I may not have time to make more than this system; or maybe one other possibly, the system I am showing is going to me my main system - my cards are dealt.
lovablechevy wrote:and the pics don't necessarily prove anything about when you started. for all we know, you took those pics months ago and are just now releasing them. a work log proves nothing of the sort.
Agreed, it all comes down to integrity and honesty after all. What we do all know however is that everytime someone makes a portable it is always far better than the previous one as a lot of experience is learnt along the way about the good and bad; so it is easy to gauge if something is new or not.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:51 pm

bacteria wrote:Agreed, it all comes down to integrity and honesty after all. What we do all know however is that everytime someone makes a portable it is always far better than the previous one as a lot of experience is learnt along the way about the good and bad; so it is easy to gauge if something is new or not.
Guess I'm screwed, then. I have nothing finished to show now. ;)
ImageImage