Making a multi-screen, keyboard and mouse switch - DONE

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Making a multi-screen, keyboard and mouse switch - DONE

Post by bacteria » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 am

As many of you might have seen in the "Show us your workstation" thread in Forum 42, I recently rebuilt my project room. One of my sections is for my PC's - three of them; although I only really use two of them particularly.

I have a two port KVM switch, which was fine for switching between two computers for the keyboard and screen, but the mouse only worked on one computer so I needed to use a second mouse - livable. This was when I used a 17" Sony monitor, which used a VGA and DVI connector. The KVM switch only used VGA (not as good as DVI) so I used an adapter. When I got my big 28" Hanns-G monitor, also with VGA and DVI inputs (actually, it doesn't have DVI, it uses HDMI with a cable for DVI) and tried the KVM switch, it only wanted to read input from one of the sources, unless the other computer was off - not acceptable.

Asking some people in Novatech (PC hardware store and maker) they agreed with me from their own experiences, that KVM switches are touch and go and normally don't work as promised. They are also very expensive, especially the 4 port DVI ones - you are talking over £120, and they probably don't work properly either - no guarantees.

I therefore bought a cable from Hong Kong via e-bay which takes both the keyboard and mouse (both PS2 connections) and converts both into one USB connector.

I tested the theory out that you can plug the monitor cable into your computer, remove it, replace, and the screen comes back on - did the same test with the USB cable too for the keyboard and mouse. All ok, so project moved on!

Thought while I was as it, I would make two holes for extra USB cables; one for each of the main computers - primarily for connecting my camera or transfer files.

First job, cut holes in a piece of 3mm perspex (thick and rigid), then cut holes to take the USB and DVI cables; and then use lots of hot glue to keep them in place. I thought I would need to reinforce the cables with wood and screws, however, the hot glue doesn't want to give, so works fine as is.

(yes I know, looks like the outside of one of SS's N64 projects)! :lol:

Hot glued some pieces of MDF to the perspex, then screwed it to the desk.

Covered the sides and top with the same adhesive flooring tiles I used for the desk. Just used some tape to hold the top down so it is easy to remove later if needed. Applied a lick of paint to the front to make it look nice.

Result - with the DVI cable in and the USB for the mouse and keyboard; and camera cable in place. After took this pic, put a shaft under the speaker to stop it dipping the top of my unit. Done!

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Making a multi-screen, keyboard and mouse switch - DONE

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:23 am

Fascinating. I've used a 2-port KVM switch, but I had never considered something like this. Nice job making it look like something!

Also nice monitor btw...

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm

So is this a cable-swapping box or does it have a switch?

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Pretty clean, bacteria.
Linking it a lot. :D
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:41 am

bacteria wrote:yes I know, looks like the outside of one of SS's N64 projects! :lol:
:lol: Don't make me get the Lysol!

Very nice work!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 am

XCVG wrote:So is this a cable-swapping box or does it have a switch?
Yes, cable swapping. Works great though.