Electronics Work Light - Free, and easy.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Electronics Work Light - Free, and easy.

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Well, I had an old LCD lying around from an old Pentium 1. Sure, it was a decent LCD, but without a controller board, it was pretty much useless to me and collecting dust. So I took out the LCD (cracking it in the process, so there was no going back now), and hooked up the inverter wires to a 9V 350 mA wall adapter. It is labeled at 21V, but 9V is plenty bright for its purpose. (you can see the brightness in the comparison picture my 200 nit T61 LCD next to the finished light.)

Once I build a desk for my room, this thing will be mounted on the top of something, about 1-1.5 feet above my workstation.

Anyways, it's kind of neat in the meantime. Here's some pictures:

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu31 ... ure010.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu31 ... ure011.jpg

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu31 ... ure013.jpg

If you have a broken LCD lying around, it's a fun and simple little project. Just don't touch the inverter while it's plugged in, it's a rather heavy shock. Guess what I did. I smelled burning skin. Didn't see any, but I guess there was enough singed to make a smell.
Hey, sup?

grossaffe

Re: Electronics Work Light - Free, and easy.

Post by grossaffe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Kurt_ wrote:If you have a broken LCD lying around, it's a fun and simple little project. Just don't touch the inverter while it's plugged in, it's a rather heavy shock. Guess what I did. I smelled burning skin. Didn't see any, but I guess there was enough singed to make a smell.
doesn't take much. I once crossed the wires on two D batters without noticing until I smelled my skin burning. the wires were really thin, too.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 pm

I've never shocked or electrical-burned myself, but I've shorted a few batteries and fried several electronic components. One of the most memorable ones involved a transistor. I didn't know how much resistance I needed, so I used a potentiometer. The transistor controlled a LED, so when I turned the pot all the way to the right it was really bright! Of course this put about 6 volts into the base of my cheap radioshack (it was still radioshack back then) transistor. I guess it fused the silicon or something, because after that it was pretty much a decorative wire (stayed on). Did I mention it got really hot and smelled like burning electronics?

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38 pm

I had a similar experience with a transistor before. I accidentally had hooked up 12v through the base and emitter. So i turn around and flip on the power supply. I hear a little pop and turn around to find my transistor had split in two! One half had one leg and the other had two. :lol:

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm

I caught my pants on fire once. ONCE. I will never use a stock psone screen aagain. Must be led modded, or I will not turn it on. :lol:

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY

Post by DJ711 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:17 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:I caught my pants on fire once. ONCE. I will never use a stock psone screen aagain. Must be led modded, or I will not turn it on. :lol:

SS
I can't tell if I'm scared to portablize or just still laughing at the picture you placed in my mind. No offense ShockSlayer
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:59 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:I caught my pants on fire once. ONCE. I will never use a stock psone screen aagain. Must be led modded, or I will not turn it on. :lol:

SS
Time for a new entry to the MSpaint abomination thread. :twisted:

Excellent

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:54 am

palmertech wrote:

SS
Time for a new entry to the MSpaint abomination thread. :twisted:
you're too slow

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Worst thing I did was a few years ago. Decided to take apart an old camera; opened it up, and got a shock from the circuit responsible for powering the flash. Wasn't fun...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 pm

If you buy some cheap disposable cameras, you can make an AA battery powered stun circuit easily, Bacteria; Imagine being able to inflict that pain upoun those you hate whenever you want! :lol:

(I always thought a portable that shocked people would be funny. Then I remembered they would drop/throw it, so an original gameboy would be the only suitable console. :( )

Excellent

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm

bacteria wrote:Worst thing I did was a few years ago. Decided to take apart an old camera; opened it up, and got a shock from the circuit responsible for powering the flash. Wasn't fun...
I had some friends that took apart a disposable camera and ****ed around with it. They figured out the contacts used for the flash and would touch a pencil or something to it causing a loud crack. Of course they would do it during class :)

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

palmertech wrote:If you buy some cheap disposable cameras, you can make an AA battery powered stun circuit easily, Bacteria; Imagine being able to inflict that pain upoun those you hate whenever you want! :lol:

(I always thought a portable that shocked people would be funny. Then I remembered they would drop/throw it, so an original gameboy would be the only suitable console. :( )
I knew someone who built an electronic shock-circuit into his shoe. he could shock people by touching them.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Out of interest, how many volts do these flash camera circuits generate to give such a shock? (and what is an unsafe level for a person to take)? I recall it made my hand clasp and tried stopping me dropping the camera and I felt a mild pain in my brain, fortunately the camera was held badly initially so it fell quickly. Quite a shock!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm

The standard is 330v from the capacitor, about 400v from the charger in the low milliamp range. That kind of shock is nowhere near fatal unless you stuck probes into your heart or something. :wink:

The really bad shock is what you get from a fully charged capacitor, the charger output is not so bad. (Still no fun, though)

I should post some pictures of one of my first electronics projects, years ago... "Stun Knuckles". :lol: Basically, some gloves rigged up with a few caps, chargers, and some springs on the knuckles to discharge a NASTY shock! I put them into retirement after I realized that putting 6 of these caps in parallel actually put the power in the somewhat dangerous range.... :( Remember, voltage is not harmful, it is the amperage! All the volts do is allow it to travel farther faster, so it wil hurt more, but not kill you. Heck, most police Tasers are in the 90,000v range. :shock:

Excellent

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Yes, post details - interesting!

I had stupidly removed the cells first; and not flashed the flash first to discharge them before opening up the camera - so in effect the system was fully charged and ready for someone stupid to open the system up and touch the circuit... :(