NESp V3

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp
NESp V3

Post by Rekarp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello All! Awhile back I leaked some info about my next portable. Well I finished it off tonight. I present to you the NESp V3.

I will finish the write up located here a bit later http://www.longhornengineer.com/Projects/NESpV3

For those that don't want to read the partial write up I will give a brief explanation of the portable.

It is based off a Yobo NOAC and a 3.5" AEIComp LCD screen. The 1500mAH battery lasts about 4 or so hours. It is much smaller then my previous portables. About 1/3 the size as my NESp V1.

Only issue is the A button. for some reason the top didn't line up 100% with the tact switch and it will slide off. Still trying to figure out how to fix it without taking the whole dam thing apart.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Wow, excellent job! So small and sexy... :D

grahf

Post by grahf » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Great work man, looks really nice. I really want to build my own wooden portable now, after seeing all these great examples.

The only thing that I dont like is the D-pad. I think you should consider trimming up a new one from a solid piece of wood. It would look a lot cleaner, and really be the icing on the cake. If you have to take it apart anyway to fix the A button, why not? :)

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:33 am

Looks nice. What are the dimensions in centimeters? Any pics of the insides of the system?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:07 am

Wowee! Flippin' sweet! You even rounded the corners - that looks so cool.

Sounds like you have a very power efficient portable there.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for the comments! Well real world testing puts the battery life at 3 hours with full volume. I would expect it to go 3.5 hours with the sound lower or while using headphones.
The only thing that I dont like is the D-pad. I think you should consider trimming up a new one from a solid piece of wood. It would look a lot cleaner, and really be the icing on the cake. If you have to take it apart anyway to fix the A button, why not?
Problem is there isn't a way to get to take the thing apart. Everything is hot glued. I can remove the A button from the front though via pliers though.

175mm x 93mm x 50mm
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 am

So if something goes wrong, your screwed?

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 am

ghosstt wrote:So if something goes wrong, your screwed?
If nothing has gone wrong yet. Nothing will go wrong :wink: Plus I have never had a portable go back under the soldering iron after I put the back of the case on.
The wood master

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 am

Rekarp wrote:...I have never had a portable go back under the soldering iron after I put the back of the case on.
Famous last words....

Anyway, nice work.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:12 am

bacteria wrote: Famous last words....
What does this button do.... :lol:

Nah every solder joint has been soldered, checked, and glued permanently in place. You can replace the battery but it would be a pain.
The wood master

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 am

Nice!

My only question is why did you go with a permanent battery, especially if it's only 1500mAh? They make 2600mAh rechargeable AAs... :? (We use a couple sets of them in the digital camera.)

I have an idea for the buttons, but it does involve disassembly. Drill a bowl shaped recess in the underside of the button and put a drop of hot glue on the tact switch (or make a deep recess and super glue a BB on there), that way if it does slide around it will slide toward the center instead of completely off the switch.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

bicostp wrote:Nice!

My only question is why did you go with a permanent battery, especially if it's only 1500mAh? They make 2600mAh rechargeable AAs... :? (We use a couple sets of them in the digital camera.)

I have an idea for the buttons, but it does involve disassembly. Drill a bowl shaped recess in the underside of the button and put a drop of hot glue on the tact switch (or make a deep recess and super glue a BB on there), that way if it does slide around it will slide toward the center instead of completely off the switch.
could have used batteries smaller then aa... it is a tiny portable.

anyway nice work

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 am

ATOMICMAN wrote:
bicostp wrote:Nice!

could have used batteries smaller then aa... it is a tiny portable.

anyway nice work
The reason why is because it has 3 hours of battery at Max Volume and it way to loud at that volume anyways so I would expect 3.5 hours at a normal level. Also I needed a flat battery about 10mm. AA's where to thick. If you look at the designs on my site it will become clear. The lithium battery takes less than an hour to charge so its not really that bad. The Nintendo DS has a permanent battery so why can'y mine? My SNES that I built had a permanent battery as well.

I think the problem on the button is how I play a NES. I hold my thumb over the B button and roll my joint over the A. Problem is I made the buttons to flush with the case. I will remove the buttons with pliers tonight and increase the height. I will probably try the super glue as well.
The wood master

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:18 am

I am amazed

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 am

Thanks Kyo.

I fixed the button. Seems there was a bit of hotglue that seeped in and was preventing the A button from being pressed down all the way.

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Project ... pdate32608

updated!
The wood master