SNESp finished! (videos page 3)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:05 pm

I was looking at what batteryspace has today, and it seems like none of their flat ones come with a protection circuit. Does anyone know of a good place to get one or how to make one?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:07 pm

you gotta buy the circuit and wire it yourself

this is the one I used in a few of mine http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=2771

try these http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=2619

or these http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=3809 if you arent interested in a ridiculous battery life

I think I used something similar to size in my snesp mkII and in my N64p
Last edited by Turbo Tax 1.0 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Ohhhhh... *nods head with new understanding*

Edit: I'm having difficulty understanding the diagram in the first link. Also, would I need one for each battery?

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:25 am

This portable is fantastic, perfect! Looks very nice, professionally finished and a lot of thought has gone into it. You must be very pleased with it. I also like the fact that your cart is flat against the system instead of at 90 degrees and, given the SNES carts are so big, are well concealed. Lovely job!

Very interested in your guide, picked up a couple of useful tips, including the regulator.

How much playtime do the batteries give, and do you have a link for them?

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:22 am

Life of Brian wrote:Ohhhhh... *nods head with new understanding*

Edit: I'm having difficulty understanding the diagram in the first link. Also, would I need one for each battery?
I had some trouble first time pretty much just hook up the + and - of the batteries and charger on the circuit and the other connection is the part where you wire the batteries together in a series, also the circuit I linked to in my last post will work :)

if I wasnt clear or you want any other Q's answered you can pm me if you want
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:20 am

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:
Life of Brian wrote:Ohhhhh... *nods head with new understanding*

I had some trouble first time pretty much just hook up the + and - of the batteries and charger on the circuit and the other connection is the part where you wire the batteries together in a series, also the circuit I linked to in my last post will work :)

if I wasnt clear or you want any other Q's answered you can pm me if you want
Alright thank you very much. I'm going to see just how much space is in between the boards.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:43 pm

I hate battery tabs. They are impossible to solder to. To date I have destroyed 3 Lithium batteries in vain attempts to solder to the tabs. On one, the tab oxidized off before I could get something to stick to it. Yes. Oxidized off.

In my portable I stripped a long section of wire (2-3 inches) and poked a hole in the tab, then soldered the wire around the tab. Then I used some aluminum foil and electrical tape to ensure the connection stayed connected.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I hate battery tabs. They are impossible to solder to. To date I have destroyed 3 Lithium batteries in vain attempts to solder to the tabs. On one, the tab oxidized off before I could get something to stick to it. Yes. Oxidized off.

In my portable I stripped a long section of wire (2-3 inches) and poked a hole in the tab, then soldered the wire around the tab. Then I used some aluminum foil and electrical tape to ensure the connection stayed connected.
Did you use flux? Also, what wattage was your iron?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Aw man, my hands are cramped and my neck hurts. Lesson I learned today: one must take breaks when playing a marathon session of Yoshi's Island. I haven't played that game in far too long. The good news is that I CAN do marathon sessions on the portable. The controls are solid! I am so happy right now...

So, what game should I play for my video demo? StarFox, Yoshi's Island, TMNT IV (which is incredibly badass), Legend of Zelda, Killer Instinct, or MegaMan X?

I would offer Donkey Kong Country, but for some reason the controls don't work on it. It turns on, but I can't get past the start screen. Either it's messed up or there's something with my wiring that only affects that one game.

I am so playing Uniracers this weekend with my girlfriend. That game always gives me hand cramps because I squeeze the buttons so hard trying to go faster :P

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Fantastic job on the construction. Good design aesthetics.

Makes me want to get back to working on my portables... Darn work :(

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Life of Brian - video demo - my vote is for Yoshi's Island. It is a fantastic game!

In ref to Donkey Kong Country issue - if it is anything like the issue on the N64 system, then some games use only a few of the contact pins on a cart, some use lots of pins; so for example, Super Mario 64 only uses a few pins so if some of your contacts are badly soldered on a cart relocation the game should still run, but many other titles won't. I suggest you might like to check that none of your wires on your cart slot relocation have broken free or connected to the wrong pin - it would certainly explain the problem you mention. Early on in my project I had this very issue, some games worked, many didn't - turned out two of the wires I used were soldered to the wrong places; fixed this, then all games worked...

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'm normally very thorough, but this time I forgot to check the connections with a multimeter before testing the system and closing it all up. I was excited to see it work and all I did was a visual scan, but with that many wires that can be deceiving. All my other games are working though, even StarFox and Yoshi's Island which have an extra processor in them. We'll see if it's a fixable problem - I really like Donkey Kong!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:15 pm

All I can think of is to test all the address lines - A0-A23.

http://www.gamesx.com/hwb/co_CartridgeSnes.html

Donkey Kong Country is a large 32mbit game - it will use a couple more address lines than the others. It may be the last few A/D lines that will affect the game.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:45 am

Very sleek and profesional looking! I have to say this is the second best snesp I've seen(sorry but Turbo still holds the title). Either way these polycase portables always seem to always turn out amazing looking.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 am

Thank you guys