NOGO: NintendO on the GO | EDIT: Dead. Pg.3 for details

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Rekarp wrote:I concur. This portable is super clean looking. If only yall could see the insides of my Duop >_>
Why don't you try making something not with wood for once? No offense, but all your portables look the same. Don't get me wrong, though, they are very nice. :wink:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:37 pm

Mario wrote:
Rekarp wrote:I concur. This portable is super clean looking. If only yall could see the insides of my Duop >_>
Why don't you try making something not with wood for once? No offense, but all your portables look the same. Don't get me wrong, though, they are very nice. :wink:
I like his wooden cases. I mean, I REALLY like his wooden cases. That, however, is why we have different modders around here, you'll get different stuff from different people.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Mario wrote:
I don't do bondo. :wink: I leave that up the experts.

Sorry if all of mine look the same. It is very hard to get different shapes without a CNC machine made out of wood. I tried to do some angles before and I realized I would have to either buy a new miter attachment for my table saw or go with sub standard cuts. A decent miter guide for a table saw runs into +$100 so you can see why I stick with 45* cuts :wink: I guess I could make a jig for it like i did for my 45* cuts....

I could do curves but bending wood that tight of a radius is hard without a fancy steaming equipment. Tried it once and ended up splitting a $20 piece of lumber that was 2"x1/16"x3' long.

Don't worry tho I don't plan to stay with wood for everything :wink:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Why don't you make s case with plastic? Build a vacuum forming table. :)

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:26 pm

vskid wrote:Clear cases usually just show off big globs of hot glue, but yours looks really good. Any plans to relocate the cart slot so it isn't sticking out the top?
Thank you. :) And no, I am not changing the cart slot. The new connector works so well, that even if the game/handheld are knocked around a lot, nothing will happen. Not glitched graphics. :D

Tighe
360 GamerTag:Tighe Lory

Re: NESp done - NOGO: NintendO on the GO

Post by Tighe » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Mario nice job!

FadedDelta

Post by FadedDelta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 am

wow you weren't lying when you said GOOD-looking transparent case.... astounding work!

how the comfort level while pwning koopas in some SMB3?
Like i said... I'm a pimp and pimps dont commit suicide.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Mario wrote:Why don't you make s case with plastic? Build a vacuum forming table. :)
Cause everyone makes cases out of plastic. There is less then a handful of people that make wooden cases.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 pm

FadedDelta wrote:wow you weren't lying when you said GOOD-looking transparent case.... astounding work!

how the comfort level while pwning koopas in some SMB3?
It is very comfortable to hold. The plastic had some sharp edges before, but after filing those smooth it felt great. Despite its thickness, it fits very well in my hands.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:21 pm

So here's the story:

Unfortunately, the screen died last night. I plugged in the charger (which is 12v) and turned on the system. I heard two pops, then the screen turned off, and I smelled burnt electronics. Totally sucky. :cry: I tried giving power to it again, but all it does is flash the backlight LEDs for half a second then goes out. There are no noticeable problems on the screen (no blackened components). I'm going to try jumping the second fuse on the board, then try replacing the 7805s. Maybe they're the problem, and the reason why the LEDs flash. I know the screen is toast because the TV out still works fine. Hopefully I can fix the screen, if not there's $60 down the drain. :(

You may think "It was the 12v, stupid!", but the 12v goes into the battery protection board, and 7.5 comes out, so it wasn't that. The board had come loose of it's hot glue, so it could move around a bit. Maybe it shorted on the NES board and gave the screen 12v, I don't know. I hope I can figure it out, otherwise I'll have a really cool-looking doorstop.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Or you could sell it to someone who cant make good cases

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 pm

SonyPortableizer wrote:Or you could sell it to someone who cant make good cases
What do you mean by that? :?

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Well all but the screen works right?
So you could get someone to fix the screen for you
and you pay them by making them a good case like the one you made

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I'll fix the screen myself.
Or buy a new one. Whatever it takes to get it running again.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Okay, I found out that there was a power short somewhere, so the protection circuit kept shutting off the power. I narrowed it down to the PS1 screen; it is what has the short. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where it is. I desoldered all my connections, removed the two fuses, took a close look at ALL the components, and nothing is giving me a clue. Can anybody shed some light on this situation? I really don't want to have to buy a new screen. :(