My completed DC portable (sega Nightmare)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:19 am

Um, why did you exceed 12v? Given the the highest voltage was 16.5v it was probably to be expected that something would blow if exceeding that! :P

Why not just get a PSone screen, quality is good, it is well documented and you know how to mod it! :D

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:07 pm

seems like a "because i can" kind of thing. It's like when kids get bored and decide to test how many hits with a hammer their <insert> will be able to withstand

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:58 pm

I have sometimes pumped a bit more voltage into something to see if it is happy to take it; eg a plug'n'play which is designed for 6v (4 x AA's) and I wanted to use 7.4v (8.3v with little load) as it was far more convenient to use that voltage and if the plug'n'play blew, who cares: a screen is something different, that costs a lot more to replace. If 12v was the most you need to pump in (eg GC) then only give it 12v as the rest of the system needs less.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:14 pm

I can understand that. But even if it's a cheap part, I wouldn't do it to a finished portable

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 pm

okay, well you see, the battery i ordered (7.4v-8.4v) did not power the screen good enough, so i found a laptop battery (14.4v) and since the i have a million fuses i though "what the heck, maybe if iam lucky 14v won't blow the fuse, and if it does, replace fuse and find another battery online". so i tested it, and i played the the game for about 1 hour, then i plugged the charger to the battery WHILE the battery was on the system, and powered on, thats when the screen came on for 1 second and turned off. now when i put the PlayStation 2 adapter on the screen (8.4v which usually turns it on) it did nothing, it wont turn on, and inside the fuse the thin wires keeps jumping, but it's not blown...i don't get it..any way i am getting a replacement screen (same type) and a new screen for my next DCp, and bacteria i will look into getting one.
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm

I always wanted to make a DCp

Nice job

and omg bacteria has forums?!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Yes, although it is pretty dead at the moment. For some reason, people prefer to use the "contact me" and e-mail me questions directly rather than put them on the forum; so I have had over 200+ e-mails from various people via my site and a graveyard on my forum! If after my PlayStation goes live and kits on sale the status quo remains, I may just delete the forum if people still prefer to e-mail me directly instead! :o

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 am

Well, no offense, but I think it's kind of redundant anyway. Your projects are great, but you don't need a whole forum to discuss them (we barely talk about bens projects here!), and if it's about portabilizing and such, we already have a nice place with tons of information and helpful people available here.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:52 am

Kyo wrote:and if it's about portabilizing and such, we already have a nice place with tons of information and helpful people available here.
So why have you started your own site then to detail other's project work (ie not your own work or work you have done), if as you say, the information is already here?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Because I wanted to create a place where the information is available in an extracted form. I see it as sort of a wiki. It's also not for the purpose of documenting others work, it's a place where you can post helpful information and guides. I don't consider it my "personal" site, as how you correctly pointed out that most of the content was not written by me. I just happen to be the guy who set it up.

Note that I wasn't talking about your site, if you feel insulted by my post. I was merely talking about the forums. I think your site is a great resource not only for help but also for an overview of your projects for those who are interested.

I hope that helps you understand the purpose of the site I made better. (Though I believe I explained this before in a PM? )