Just how does ben make his cases..?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

thehaksharif
Just how does ben make his cases..?

Post by thehaksharif » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello People

I know this is quite n00bish me asking you this question in this way... but i just need to know how ben makes his cases for his 360 Laptops

Please dont link me to his tutorial on Engadget as i have already seen that..

i just want to know

1.What Material does ben make this cases out of..
2. What is the Technical Name of the CNC Machine he uses eg. cnc cutting, cnc milling etc

3. On his xbox 360 laptop... does he use Aluminum for the base then plastic walls or am i missing something...

Also i wanted to know, if i wanted to make a case what should i do.. where do i start.. i like have no idea at all...

ps. im in the UK

woox

Re: Just how does ben make his cases..?

Post by woox » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:54 pm

then you didnt read the engadget tutorials, read it (answers all your questions)

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:00 pm

He's done close to about a billion of them, so you'd have to be more specific about which one you were talking about. He's done different things for each one. and I don't know what what the official name is.

You can go to this thread to read about 64M320N3's machine he has. Also, woox is right... his tutorial should have explained everything. You look at the making of each of his 360's by clicking the "View my projects" link on the benheck.com homepage or you can go to his youtube page to see some of his CNC videos and such.

Really, just read about all his laptops and you'll find most of what you need to know.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 pm

thehaksharif wrote:1.What Material does ben make this cases out of..
He used to do a 14 gauge aluminum base with komatex walls and then another 14 gauge layer, but lately he has been machining it all out of one block.
2. What is the Technical Name of the CNC Machine he uses eg. cnc cutting, cnc milling etc
He uses a router. It doesn't really matter though as long as you don't use a laser engraver, because that won't actually cut the metal. I have a mill, a punch, and a waterjet, and all could do his old case. (Only my mill can accurately cut his new cases though.)
3. On his xbox 360 laptop... does he use Aluminum for the base then plastic walls or am i missing something...
He uses 14 gauge aluminum with Komatex walls. It is a high density styrofoam. I am not sure why he chose this material other than that it is really easy to machine.

If you have any more questions, please post. I can cut out ben's first 3 cases (only because he made them readily available.) Annoyingly, he won't give me the case designs for any of his models with beveled edges, but I regress...
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

wethemodders

Post by wethemodders » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:10 am

he uses a CNC machine and then bends the part using heat. i do the same thing with all my plastic parts i make for people. CNC means Computer Numeraly Controled check out the trade forms and find plastic parts. that is me.
I AM A TRUE HACKER

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Actually bens cases are made of mahogany But not just any mahogany! Mahogany from the planet Malchior Seven, where the trees are three-hundred feet tall and breath fire! It was enchanted with ancient blood magic rituals by the Malchior people which make both the cases and Ben himself Indestructable!! Also, it's a very fine material. Veeeeery expensive.

:lol: