How To Prevent Rusting

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Mr. Saturn
How To Prevent Rusting

Post by Mr. Saturn » Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Wasn't sure if this post should go in the case construction forum, but I figure since it is part of the outside of my case it could fit here. My question is: what is the best method to prevent or stop rusting?

I had what I thought to be an aluminum strip on the outside of my case to surround the cartridge slot, but over the past few weeks I've noticed that it has started to color and rust. When I sand it down to get rid of the rust and make it shine it eventually ends up rusting again. Is there something I can put on the metal to prevent this? I want to leave it as metal and not paint over it. Thanks in advance.

Taiben

Re: How To Prevent Rusting

Post by Taiben » Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 pm

You can lacquer or clear cote it. It will still look like bare metal but it will be protected from weathering or rusting. It comes in high gloss and matt so you can get any finish.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Mr. Saturn wrote:Wasn't sure if this post should go in the case construction forum, but I figure since it is part of the outside of my case it could fit here. My question is: what is the best method to prevent or stop rusting?

I had what I thought to be an aluminum strip on the outside of my case to surround the cartridge slot, but over the past few weeks I've noticed that it has started to color and rust. When I sand it down to get rid of the rust and make it shine it eventually ends up rusting again. Is there something I can put on the metal to prevent this? I want to leave it as metal and not paint over it. Thanks in advance.
You sure that's aluminum?
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 am

Move to somewhere less humid :P

Seriously though, you're going to have to put some sort of finish on it.

Mr. Saturn

Post by Mr. Saturn » Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am

nevermind1534 wrote:You sure that's aluminum?
I bought a sheet of what I thought was aluminum at Home Depot and cut it into a strip, but I'm starting to think it's not; I didn't think aluminum was supposed to rust this much.
XCVG wrote:Move to somewhere less humid :P
I wish. It's been rainy and humid for over a week.

Taiben wrote:You can lacquer or clear cote it. It will still look like bare metal but it will be protected from weathering or rusting. It comes in high gloss and matt so you can get any finish.
Thanks. That sounds like what I'll end up doing. I'll have to look into that stuff. I assume you can buy it pretty much anywhere? Definitely want to keep that bare metal appearance. A rusty exterior of a newly constructed portable is quite unsightly.

MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 am

Mr. Saturn wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:You sure that's aluminum?
I bought a sheet of what I thought was aluminum at Home Depot and cut it into a strip, but I'm starting to think it's not; I didn't think aluminum was supposed to rust this much.
Aluminium doesn't rust. At all.

For something to rust, it has to have iron in it. Exposed aluminium oxidises and you get a white film on the surface, that's it - you won't get rust.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu May 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Does a magnet stick to it?

Also Aluminum DOES oxide. Just turns less shiny.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Mr. Saturn

Post by Mr. Saturn » Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Rekarp wrote:Does a magnet stick to it?
A magnet does stick to it. I'm thinking it must be some combination of aluminum and scrap metal because it was definitely rusting. I ended up putting rustoleum protective enamel on it. It looks good for the moment, but I'll have to see if it lasts.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sun May 17, 2009 12:16 am

Mr. Saturn wrote:
A magnet does stick to it. I'm thinking it must be some combination of aluminum and scrap metal because it was definitely rusting. I ended up putting rustoleum protective enamel on it. It looks good for the moment, but I'll have to see if it lasts.
They dont mix aluminum and steel. Magnets only stick to ferrous materials (IE Iron)
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Rekarp wrote:
Mr. Saturn wrote:
They dont mix aluminum and steel. Magnets only stick to ferrous materials (IE Iron)
But isn't steel refined iron?
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:06 pm

yes, but they don't make an alloy by mixing a metal with an alloy. That would be, like, a super alloy; out to destroy the world!
Cheers,
Basement_Modder