Xbox 360 in an Original Xbox....Possible?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

DudeMcBang
Xbox 360 in an Original Xbox....Possible?

Post by DudeMcBang » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey there, I've always loved my xbox 360 but it has nagged at me that I still like the esthetiques of the first xbox.

My idea was a fantasy untill I found this site, that is.

So too all you console modders out there I ask you this: Can you put the guts of a 360 into the shell of the first xbox? if so, lets talk and if its been done, where can I buy one or have it done to mine

jjhammerstein

Re: Xbox 360 in an Original Xbox....Possible?

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:31 pm

It will fit. The motherboard might need some shaving at the corners, but I think it's doable.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

DudeMcBang

Post by DudeMcBang » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Okay no blunt "No's" so thats a sart but I wonder if its bedone or attempted before and if any of you guys know of any, coulde you post a pic or schematic?

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Open them both up, look inside.
You can figure it out.

No one has done if before, but you don't really need a schematic.
Try it.

Zeto2k1

Post by Zeto2k1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:07 am

I'll try to take a look into this, i have an extra of both, maybe with some down time this week i'll rip'em apart and see what the dimensions are.. maybe put up an idea that i thought would be cool.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Keep us informed, we're always eager to see an new project, and are full of good advice when you need it.

DudeMcBang

Post by DudeMcBang » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am

Excelent! This was more help then I'd expected

Zeto2k1

Post by Zeto2k1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:49 pm

So, I had the opportunity to take the Xbox apart and really get into the nitty gritty of the case, surprisingly there was more internal space then i had expected, mostly to due with the origional xbox had its own internal power supply. Since the 360, had moved it outside, that frees up a lot of space for the physically larger 360 board. I have taken a few photos to show what i had found. I have a thought regarding this since the origional xbox had an internal hard drive, with the 360 it makes it "tight" internally, having an drop in/on hd would change the "origional" look, s i thought of having the saller 360 hdd put internally. do you think the aluminum shell is absolutely necessary in these systems? could they suffice with a top and a bottom allowing better ventilation on the sides? what does the consensus feel on this?
**Some shots of disassembly & comparisons between both assemblies.**
this photo and the following show the "360" over the "xbox" assembly both in there
metal housings.
this photo shows the 360 board if just "shoved" into the "xbox" case.. not the best
fit..with out a little "help"

Now there are 3 specific questions that BEG to be answered.. and 2 more that would be following those..

1. Why?.. if you solely like the outer look of the xbox.. ok, but WHY..
2. Do you want to do this yourself, or do you want this done for you period?
3. Who's paying for it? ;)
i ask because i honestly put more thought into this then i expected and came up with a few cool ideas, now since i'm kind of already invested in making a portable (360) of my own atm i don't necessarily have a lot of "free funds laying around" however, i would be willing to build this setup if there was some "support".

My 2 follow up questions.. Do you want me to burn 2 systems to make one? and how crazy are you looking to go? (crazy - within reason) I ask because i am contemplating building this thing, granted i would be trying to make it where i could simply "drop" a 360 into a "prepared" setup, but that would still require a 360 to be installed. What would you like to do? i offer my "can do" if requested.

DudeMcBang

Post by DudeMcBang » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:47 am

I'm a little pressed for time but I'll answer 1 and 2...

okay 1: Plain and simple, I thing it would be cool to playing my 360 in an original xbox...kinda the harmony of new meets old, yeah know?

Okay 2: I'm considering both. If it is something that I could learn then yeah, I'd try but I havent ruled out buying one from someone who knows what there doing...

P.S If you can show me a completed version, lets talk price :wink:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:02 am

You can safely ditch the shielding. It's to make the FCC happy.

Zeto2k1

Post by Zeto2k1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:39 am

Hey guys, sorry about my absence, been trying to organize two projects at the same time and trying to make the budget stay within "reasonable" More so with the portable then the other, but its been fun planing it all out. I have a ton of photos to keep progress of what i'm seeing regarding what i'm looking at, i should have some photos up soon to show how this is coming together. I'll have some more info soon, i'll keep you posted, but it is definitely in the works.

modernknight

Post by modernknight » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm

I've been really interested in this as well, but my plan is to take it a bit further and have it portable as well. To answer your question, yes, the 360 motherboard fits in the original case fairly well. With the shielding removed on the bottom half of the case, there is *just* enough room for the heatsink when the top is replaced. The only issue would be the relocation of the power, video, and usb ports. But I'd say with some time and ingenuity, its definitely doable.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 am

:facepalm:
check the dates on threads......( please)

welcome to benheck
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]