WTB vaccum forming table

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

Wretched
WTB vaccum forming table

Post by Wretched » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 am

I want a nice vaccum forming table or parts to make one. I have not looked into it that much but, I would like it to mold some decently thick plastic because the molds will most likely house speakers and I don't want it to rattle.
Hearing only what you want to hear, knowing only what you heard...

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: WTB vaccum forming table

Post by jdmlight » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:44 am

IIRC the easiest way to build your own vacuum-forming table is by using a Shop Vac (or a similar brand depending on your local hardware store). Here's one such tutorial: http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/va ... table.html

If you want to buy one pre-made, your location (can be approximate, no need to give your exact location, you can just give the nearest large city) would be important, as it's likely to cost too much to ship.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Wretched

Post by Wretched » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 am

Any where in Ontario would be fine. Are the pre-made ones better quality then something you could make yourself.

Wretched

Post by Wretched » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Any good reccomendations for building your own?

Rubedizzle

Post by Rubedizzle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 pm

I am also in Canada :)

Anyways, I made one late last year, to mold some lexan sheets (the good stuff, 1/8") for my car headlights. In any event, worked fine, built a wooden box with a hole in the side, and a thin perforated board top. Hooked it up to a good shop vac, and then after the lexan was heated, and my mold was sitting on the box, i went to it. Worked fine.

I would suggest getting some rubber seals for one side of the brackets that you have on the edges your plastic sheet you are forming, so that when you press down it seals up nicely and you get maximum suction. Also if you are dealing with lexan, preheat it at 200deg fahrenheit for a number of hours to remove moisture from it before forming.