FS:One official BenHeck Neo Geo MVS console -ebay- cheap?

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

infamouslunchbox
FS:One official BenHeck Neo Geo MVS console -ebay- cheap?

Post by infamouslunchbox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 am

I have one of the second model of Ben's Neo Geo MVS Consoles for sale. Here are some details, as well as a link to the ebay posting. I think this is a reasonable price, but I'm not sure. The starting bid was less than my total costs for everything included. Any questions let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 687wt_1396

Details from the auction are below.

When I bought the parts to send to Ben I bought a BRAND NEW, "new-old-stock" Neo Geo MV-1C from a North American arcade parts distributor. This was significantly more expensive than buying a used board, but I felt it would be worth it to buy a new board, and I think that many will agree with this logic.

Also of note is I've only played this system about a dozen times. Very shortly after I received this system my mother got very sick, was diagnosed as being terminally ill, and shortly thereafter passed away. Due to the events at the time I ended up boxing up this system after only playing it a couple times, and placed it carefully aside to be used later. This was over four years ago, and I've only pulled it out, briefly, three times since. Always handling it as carefully as possible.

What is included:

A legitimate BenHeck Original Consolized MVS system. This is not a copy, clone or anything else. This is one of his systems.

One Neo Geo Pro "jellybean" controller (boxed, but the box inside is filled with bags and padding as the cardboard was gone when I bought it, it was used).

Three games are included: Puzzle de Pon (in a "Shock Box" with cover), Art of Fighting (shock box, no cover), Fatal Fury (shock box, no cover) and one additional empty shock box.

The original box and bubblewrap padding the MV-1C board came in (from when I bought it new), and the original instruction book that came with the MV-1C board.

The power adapter for the system (a PSOne power supply).

As a bonus, if I can find it, I will throw in World Heroes as well, also in a shock box, if it is not found before the end of the auction I'll search hard for it and mail it to the winner later at my cost. No reason to keep it if I don't have a Neo Geo, right? Right.

The system is in pretty much the condition I received it in several years ago, you'll notice that for some reason the sticker on the bottom went unsigned, I'm not sure why, I never bothered to ask Ben. There are two flaws with this system: the "button" on the 1 Player Credit came off shortly after I got it, my friend did this the day after I got it. Nice huh? I held onto the piece to set on top of the panel and push it on after that, but I lost the piece at some point and when I was testing it recently I used a small bit of plastic to depress the contact. It worked fine, but you may want to contact Mr. Heckendorn and see if there is a part you can easily replace it with (it simply glues on, shouldn't be hard to do).

Second, there has been a couple of occasions with wrong color issues, and a failure to load/boot on one occasion. I will go into detail on those issues here: I found the problems with loading up happened with two particular games that I later traded, and I borrowed other copies of those games to test the system and it loaded fine. It has worked fine with every one of the other games I've tried it with. It is likely the copies of the games I was using, but I feel it is important to mention that here, just in case.

As for the wrong colors, I'm stumped. It has happened on a few (literally three) occasions, but each time the problems eventually "fixed" themselves. I have contacted Ben Heckendorn about this each time, the last time being just over two years ago, and I will forward the email chain to the winner of this auction, and I will copy it and email it to those who wish to see it before the close of the auction . He agreed it was strange, and jokingly stated "All electronics are cursed. I've stopped trying to figure out why anything does anything!", which is possibly the best thing I've ever read in an email. I did use a different set of cables for the picture, so it could have been the cables, but I am not sure. Now the system did not display those problems with color when I tested it again just now, because they could return I'm selling it as "defective", as I said, it seems to be working fine now, but there is a problem somewhere, and it probably has a bit of a defect somewhere. Ben said it could just be "something loose" when I asked him or could have been "problem with the NTSC encoder". If you have problems I'd contact Ben Heckendorn about any repair work on it, I'm not sure what/if he'd charge, but he'd be the only person I'd personally trust with it, hence the reason I contacted him before. He is an amazing individual and a genius. He has been really awesome and kind in all of our contacts, and is a really reasonable guy. I am not sure if you'll have the same problems I did, but you may, so it's important to mention that defect here.

Some may wonder why they should bid on what is listed as a "defective" system, but I do guarantee it turns on, gives picture, and despite the color/boot up problems it had/has, it hasn't experienced any other issues that I have not listed. Also consider the cost of having one commissioned. If it does need repairs and Mr. Heckendorn charged two hours of labor to fix this problem (which seems excessive if I gather correctly from the emails sent) at his full price ($125 per hour), it may still be cheaper to buy this used system than to have one made. If you go to his sales page his cheapest examples of potential charges (the 2600 portable/NESp) are expected to come in between $750-1,000, while his more expensive commissions can be expected to run well over $4000 (PS3/Xbox 360 laptops). The NES and Atari 2600 are significantly less complicated than a Neo Geo MVS, and in turn this seems much less complicated than a PS3/Xbox 360, and while I'm not sure about this, I'd assume this would land somewhere in the middle of that. Also any buyer will be hard pressed to find a nearly new MV-1C. The parts, extras, and labor alone cost more than the starting bid. As you can see it's a great buy. :)

The controller was bought used, but is in very good condition. The controllers box is pretty beat up, and the original controller holder is missing, and has been replaced by bags, but still, you get the box for it. That can't be too super common I suppose. I bought it from a fellow on the neo-geo.com forums and he was a real champ. This thing works for sure, and has been tested to it's fullest. :)

The games all seem to work well, tested on different systems, and worked well. So there's that. The fighting games are well used, but Puzzle de Pon looks pretty clean and good. I got Puzzle de Pon online from a retailer, used, and the other games I purchased from a local arcade. Local arcades are great places to find these carts, and are generally very cheap if they have them.

Any buyers in the US will receive free shipping (a great deal this thing is really heavy!). All other countries will pay actual shipping costs, be warned this thing is very heavy and bulky and will require special handling going international due to it's large dimensions. This thing has been packed with care, and wrapped well, to avoid any damages.

I'm an adult collector, and have kept this system in a smoke-free and child-free environment, and have been careful with it since I purchased it.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Re: FS:One official BenHeck Neo Geo MVS console -ebay- cheap?

Post by Triton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm

juts FYI composite video IS RCA video. common component video output is YPbPr (see wiki here

jorjastandish

Re: FS:One official BenHeck Neo Geo MVS console -ebay- cheap?

Post by jorjastandish » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks! This really helped me a lot!
All about health & beauty: virility ex, wartrol
,idol lash