FS: low_budget's new PS3 Slim laptop

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

low_budget
FS: low_budget's new PS3 Slim laptop

Post by low_budget » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 am

I am offering my PlayStation 3 slim laptop for sale on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0601904305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first laptop, an XBOX 360, sold for $1200. It was a good first try, but I've made this one better in every way. Plus this one uses all new components. Check out the full feature list and build photos in the news section of the forums.
Last edited by low_budget on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

meleniumshane90
PSN Username:meleniumshane90
360 GamerTag:meleniumshane90
Steam ID:meleniumshane90

Re: FS: low_budget's new PS3 Slim laptop

Post by meleniumshane90 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Make one of those steady-cam boards (basically attach the camera to a board), re-video that, & embded it on there. I'd also swap the first image with the one with the unit powered on & in use - that way thats the thumbnail they see.

Looks great though.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:42 am

UPDATE:
Just re-listed on ebay with a new fan speed controller for quieter operation.
I am working on 4 more laptops! They can be either XBOX or PS3 due to the flexible design. PM me if you'd like one custom built.

technabob

Post by technabob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Just hit you up with a post about your laptop here:

http://technabob.com/blog/2010/11/01/ps ... ow-budget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you get some bids!

resecnded x
PSN Username:ShadowXKaiser
360 GamerTag:King Kickass99

Post by resecnded x » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm

hay low_budget, this is a question/request

now i must say right now, i don't have access to my bank account where most of my money is at (up to $7,600) so in a way, im broke

but IF i had access to it (this is a what if question) would you build another ps3 slim laptop but make the hard drive removable like the regular ps3 slim/fat consoles can

reply soon so i can know if you can; who knows...... i might be able to get more than enough money someday
"Zeus, your son has returned; I have brought the destruction, OF OLYMPUS"

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 pm

The hard drive can be replaced rather easily. The top / left side remove with 2 screws.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Well I did have plans to build 4 more laptops, but the last one hasn't sold. With an asking price reduced to a mere $1,000, I would think it will sell soon. I have spent about $800 just in material cost. So with around 200 hours invested building this, I'm making a whole dollar per hour.

Needless to say, I will not be building any more laptops unless the prices go up. I'm working on my third, which I will probably keep for myself instead of wasting my life trying to make a profit on these.

It's a shame really, I think I build some of the best quality laptops I've seen. I'm the only builder that uses a TIG welded monitor frame and chassis made of 6063 and 5052 aluminum. Every aspect of construction is top quality, which I THOUGHT would help them sell for more.

Then I get a lot of idiots on ebay sending me pathetic offers of $200 and such (even with no best offer option.) Why would somebody do such a thing unless their goal is to piss people off? Is it even possible to get a used working PS3 for $200?

I have many laptop parts I can sell, as I hoped to create a one man assembly line and build several at once.
I have 3 aluminum monitor frames that accept a 19in widescreen panel for $75 ea
I can also build a system chassis that goes with the monitor frame for another $75
I have an extra audio amplifier (same as ben uses) tested with speakers, headphone jack, and digital volume control for $60

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:35 pm

It's not just you.

People are superficial and are suckers for things that look good.

There are very few people that can understand the workmanship and knowledge required to make something like that.
As a result, they simple judge the entire thing based on how it looks. It's a fact of life.

Your potential market is small enough that they probably won't be combing ebay all the time, so re-list for a while.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:54 pm

I think the real problem is that the novelty has worn off for Xbox360 and PS3 laptops.

When Ben did the first few they were neat and kind of cool. Now people are beginning to realize it's really just a PS3/Xbox360 with a built in screen/speakers.

A novelty and not much more.

Don't get me wrong, I love them and yours is top notch. But when trying to sell something for such high dollar amounts it needs to be useful. And most people would rather hook up their PS3/Xbox360 to a large screen TV than play it on a small screen sitting on a table..

So they just aren't selling much anymore.

But I like them and think it takes a lot of skill to make a good looking one like you did. Just don't think there's a market for them anymore.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

low_budget

FS: low_budget's "Model 1" PS3 laptop

Post by low_budget » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm

PS3 "Model 1" laptop SOLD for $900 on ebay.