rekarp's 2600 video mod ala lovablechevy

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
rekarp's 2600 video mod ala lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:50 pm

rekarp requested that i put this thread in here.

this one's for you, rekarp!

so i bought one of rekarp's unassembled atari 2600 video mods. here is what was inside the glorious package:

i figured i should get a shot of what the rf looks like on my hdtv:

i then went back to the package. i separated the contents into a more organized pile:

i then went to work on following the markings on the board and placing all the components correctly. about an hour later (due to having to calculate resistors - my eyes weren't cooperating with me):

it was then time to open up the atari:

i had bought a very nicely refurbished 2600 that was back to looking and working brand new. the people who had worked on it had soldered the shielding back on in two places. i found this odd...

i went about taking off the unneeded resistor and pulling the 3 pins off the ic chip:

i then soldered the pretty colored wires rekarp mailed onto the video mod board:

now, here is where i started to do my own thing. you see, rekarp includes the ports for s-video, composite, and left & right audio. i did not want to drill holes into my atari. i wanted to keep it as close to stock looking as possible. so, i got my old ps2 composite/s-video cord (i recently upgraded to component). and i chopped it apart:

i then went about using my multimeter to figure out which wire is what so that i would know how to wire it up to rekarp's board. here are my notes (if you can make out my terrible writing):

here are the wires almost prepared to solder to the board:

i then hooked the very colorful wires up the the atari board as instructed on rekarp's site (by the way, rekarp, there is a misprint on that picture on your site. you have purple listed twice. the first one should say brown):

it was then time to test before putting it all together and closing it. i hooked everything up, crossed my fingers, and turned on the atari... nothin... crap... i realized i had my tv on composite input. i change the input to s-video, cross my fingers again... nothin... double crap... i then try switching it to composite and switch the tv's input accordingly, cross my fingers... still nothin... what the crap? what's going on? and then i remember... i didn't have the power strip turned on the 2600 is plugged into... :oops: stupid atari not having a power led...

anyway, i get it all hooked up correctly, cross my fingers, turn it on, and:

sweet! it works! and looks amazing!!

so it was time to close it all up. i line everything up and stick rekarp's board down. i feed the wire through where the rf wire went to keep it out of the way. i then put a bit of electrical tape over it just to help keep it in place:

i then bend the bottom of the shielding so it will fit with all those wires:

i close it all up, and voila! as close to stock as an s-video modded atari 2600 can look!

for those of you who would like to do this mod in this fashion, simply make sure you string the wire through the atari case before soldering the wires on. the plugs do not fit through the hole that the rf wire was going through.

i am very pleased with this mod. it was a great price, and very easy to do. a nice saturday afternoon project.

now, rekarp, hurry up and finish the 5200 and 7800 boards! ;)

thanks for looking!
Last edited by lovablechevy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: rekarp's 2600 video mod ala lovablechevy

Post by eurddrue » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm

:o chevy's back!!!! YAAAAAAY!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D I may have to get one of these kits when I get a tv that can handle composite in :lol: 1970's TV's FTW!!!!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Looks pretty good!

If you want to keep the cable from getting accidentally yanked out, a zip tie done as tight as you can get it right on the inside of the case works great. 8)

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:44 am

Wow, that looks great! After my snes portable, I plan on doing an atari. I might just buy one of these kits for it.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

ChrisKoopa

Post by ChrisKoopa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 pm

that vid-mod looks nice
cant wait to see a larger pic of it

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 am

eurddrue: glad you're excited i'm back. lol! i never truly left. just needed a break.

bicostp: thanks for the tip!

themadhacker: yeah, this is a very good choice to go with for a portable. i plan on using one someday if i ever get around to a 2600 portable.

ChrisKoopa: pics have been enlarged.

and now, here are some videos:

before

after
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 am

The mod makes quite a difference. Nice work.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the review so to speak Chevy! I am going to add your method of doing the ports to my site as "alt methods"

Oh yes and thanks Chevy for pointing out that misprint. It is fixed now.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm

I got to see Rekarp's video mod in person at MGC and I want one! It's provides an amazingly perfect picture!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:55 am

yeah, i would dare to say it is THE best video mod out there for the 2600. :D

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 am

Life of Brian wrote:I got to see Rekarp's video mod in person at MGC and I want one! It's provides an amazingly perfect picture!
I'd like to second that. Absolutely pixel perfect. Think about going from a really old VHS tape to DVD.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks for the compliments. The showing at MGC brought in so far about 15-20 orders.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:56 pm

If I bought a 2600 I probably wouldn't buy one because I'm too cheap (and poor), not because it sucks. From what I've read/heard your mod is the best one availible.

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:08 pm

XCVG wrote:If I bought a 2600 I probably wouldn't buy one because I'm too cheap (and poor), not because it sucks. From what I've read/heard your mod is the best one availible.
You can build it yourself. I provide free schematics on my website.
The wood master

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Rekarp, did you just say the "F" word!? Sweet! Imma check out your site because I have a 2600 that has no rf adaptor.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts